Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Best peak to bag in < 8 hours??????

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Best peak to bag in < 8 hours??????

Postby hikehigh » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:48 am

I will be in the area for a week and I will have about 8 hours to get out and bag a peak. The rest of the time will be doing tourist family stuff.

Any recommendations for a peak that is easy class 4 or less and can be done in under 8 hours (I am somewhat fast, but not a runner) Cross country, difficult navigation, snow, ice not a problem. Starting out on a trail would be nice so I can start pre-dawn, but not absolutely necessarily.

I was thinking Conness via south slope from the east?
Anyone done the class 3 route to Cathedral? How is the class 4 summit block?

I have done half dome and dana. I am staying at one of the first come first serve sites along 120.

Thanks for any ideas!!!!
hikehigh
Regular
Regular

Postby balzaccom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:38 pm

Here are a few suggestions.

Cathedral --yes, I've done it, except for the summit block. That's climbable, but baby, you better like exposure. The easiest route is the south face....and it's 1500 feet straight down if you slip.

Conness is also doable---you can always just walk up Dana or Mammoth...

But if it were me, and I had time, I would do Cloud's Rest from Tenaya. It's the single best day-hike in Yosemite, and the views are stunning.

Hoffman is easy--and certainly not 8 hours--but a great view as well.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:56 pm

Echo Peak #3
or just go north of Matthes Crest ... one of my favorite views in the park
or do both
or do a bunch of Echo Peaks
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Sentinel Dome

Postby KC » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:05 pm

If you happen to get real pressed for time, but want to do a quick climb with expansive views, go for Sentinel Dome. I think the views from there rival Half Dome. Plus, Glacier Point is always great.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking