Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Bond Pass/Emigrant Wilderness/North Yosemite

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Bond Pass/Emigrant Wilderness/North Yosemite

Postby KC » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:20 pm

I am planning a trip from Relief Res. in Emigrant Wilderness down to Bond Pass in North Yosemite next week. May go north up West Walker River to Leavitt Meadows on Highway 108 after visiting Dorothy Lake. Has anyone yet visited this part of the Park/Emigrant Wilderness? Does anyone have any idea about the stream crossings and snow melt?

I gather from other forums the snow level should not be an issue (was up near Carson Pass this weekend and it was about 9500 feet or greater). Would much appreciate any input anyone can offer.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:37 pm

you might want to jump off the trail after relief to check out those lakes near granite dome. it's a through hike to emigrant lake to catch the trail again.

for stream crossings, look carefully at the map to see the watershed for the particular stream. cherry creek below huckleberry is probably impassible

if memroy serves, they've got some bridges on those trails until you get higher up, so shouldn't be a problem.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:19 pm

If he's going from Relief Reservoir to Bond Pass, he isn't going ANYWHERE near Cherry Creek...unless he plans a big detour.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:07 pm

balzacomm - i agree. cherry creek was just general information for the area. it's got the biggest watershed and flows madly. i should mention also it's not only the size of the watershed, but also the elevation of the watershed when judging the likely waterflow.

my learning lesson on this was the difference between jack main and the branigans. the branigans have their own watershed that dries up soon enough, whereas i had to cross falls creeks at the pools on my tippy toes with pack over my head and the water up to my chin. you don't forget those lessons.

if you've got a trail boat you can cross cherry at huckleberry though.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:13 pm

also, they run cattle in relief valley, doubt they're up there yet, but remember to filter any water below, not to mention horses. that is one reason to visit those lakes near granite dome. they are relatively clean.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking