Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Advice? 2-day backpack - no permit

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Advice? 2-day backpack - no permit

Postby M Hirschland » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:05 pm

We would greatly appreciate some guidance. My husband, 2 kids (13 and 11) and I are incredibly fortunate to have a day and a half in Yosemite on August 2nd and 3rd. We have no permit and can only arrive mid-afternoon - ready to hike until before dusk - of the first day. We can hike up and then back down for a very full day the second day. We'd love for the kids to have the experience of hiking up to a back country campsite - and of experiencing the glory of Yosemite. We're all in fine shape.

Would you have a suggestion of a good route for us, one for which we're likely to be able to get a permit on the spot in the afternoon and see some of the wonder of the park?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

Madi
M Hirschland
First-timer
First-timer

Permits/Trailheads

Postby KC » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:01 pm

Obviously, permits for trails up out of the valley are going to be tough to get. I've never had any problems with getting permits for areas around Glacier Point though. You could always try to go in from McGurk Meadow to Dewey Point and camp near Bridalveil Creek. Awesome views of the valley that way.

There's also the Illouette Drainage from the Panorama Trail. I've gotten permits from Glacier going in that direction mid-summer before.

People cancel trips all the time so you never know exactly what you can get until you try. I got lucky last year and did a weekend trip to Clouds Rest and Half Dome from Happy Isles. Wasn't expecting to do that one at all.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:53 am

Mono Meadows off Glacier point road almost always has permits available...you can hike up Illilouette Canyon from there. But if you only have two days, it will pretty much be an out and back...and if you are leaving mid-morning, I am not sure you'll get to good campsites up the canyon in time. That area burned about 10-15 years ago, and it still shows the scars. higher up the canyon it is wonderful
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby cjoz » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:52 am

Per above, never know what might be available due to cancellations so definitely ask.

As far as places where permits are generally not a problem, you could hike out of Porcupine Creek to North Dome on the first day and maybe spend the second day heading west and exploring the top of Yosemite Falls and maybe Eagle Peak if you've got time before heading back. You won't be in the valley but you'll see it all from there.
cjoz
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking