Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hitchhiking from Valley parking to Wawona Tunnel trailhead?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hitchhiking from Valley parking to Wawona Tunnel trailhead?

Postby BrendanSF » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:40 am

I am planning a semi-loop from Wawona Tunnel View trailhead, up the Pohono Trail, and down the 4-Mile Trail.

If I park my car in Yosemite Village day-use parking around 9am, what do you think of my chances of hitchhiking a ride up to the Wawona Tunnel?

I will be solo, I'm a male, mid-40s, not too scary-looking. Planning to make a sign. Any tips?
BrendanSF
Regular
Regular

Postby KC » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:34 am

I had to hitch my way to Glacier Point a few years ago after making a wrong turn on a trail. Could've gone up 4-mile trail, but was just too pooped after a week in the back country.

My suggestion is to look for a ride by the Valley Wilderness Center. It may take some time, but you'll likely get one. Or, you could just take the shuttle bus that goes to Glacier Point. I haven't taken it, but it may drop you at the tunnel. Have you looked into that, or any other public transportation options, yet?

Also, I imagine it's pretty dry now on the Pohono Trail. I did the trail in early June when there was plenty of water; however, I would definitely ask around about creek conditions on the trail now. It's a haul from the Tunnel up to Bridalveil Creek, where your only sure source of water is likely to be. You'll definitely want to check conditions first.

You might be better off starting at Glacier, camping a night at Bridalveil, then going down to the Tunnel from there. You could hike through the valley (or catch a bus) and stay a night at the backpacker's camp. You could go back up the 4-mile trail in the am then.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:20 pm

The Valley Floor tour makes a stop at Tunnel View. You could leave the tour there. I suppose that's not a very cheap option.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

tours too expensive

Postby BrendanSF » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks for the tour bus suggestions. Both the Valley Floor Tour and the Glacier Point Tour are $25, not really worth it if I can hitch a ride, esp since I'm only going a small fraction of the way. The big question is whether I could successfully find a ride.

Unfortunately no time to camp, so I need to get there early, park, and head out.

This trip would be the 3rd of 4 big Valley Rim hikes, here are the first two that I have dome

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=394031

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=394024

and the 4th would be Tamarack or Rockfalls to El Cap and down Yosemite Falls Trail
BrendanSF
Regular
Regular

Postby Wickett » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:52 pm

I always pick up the backpackers looking for a ride and when I needed a ride I think it took 10 mins to get one.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mikecain3 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:50 am

Only once have a tried to hitch a ride out of the valley. There were two of us with packs. It was before the hike so we looked clean. We were going toward Crane Flat and it took an hour and half for a ride. We started walking and went through a couple of the tunnels. Many of the people could have taken us but they keep going. I was surprised. I was guessing that a ride was easy to find but it didn't turn out like that. It was also late September so traffic was very light. I think your chances of getting a ride increase greatly when you are solo. Would I do it again to avoid long shuttles - yes.
mikecain3
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking