Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

5 day loop from Snow Creek Falls - feedback please!

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

5 day loop from Snow Creek Falls - feedback please!

Postby TrayS » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:51 am

My group (4 others and myself) are planning a 5 day/4 night Yosemite backpacking trip for mid-August. We have constructed a tentative trail plan, and figured we'd post it here.

We are all relatively young (29-35) and though some of us may be packing a couple extra pounds (hand raised!) we all are very active and exercise consistently. We are frequent day hikers, but have just started backpacking this year and have gone on a couple local overnight/weekend journeys to get comfortable with our gear. We are training on the local mountains and getting in several hikes with up to 2000' elevation gain with fully loaded packs, so that we are prepared as can be. One wild card for us may be altitude, as we all live near the coast.

That said, here is our plan with estimated mileage and elevation gain/loss. We would appreciate any feedback, particularly, if this plan sounds reasonable for us as described. We are ready for a challenge, but don't want to bite off more than we can chew!

Day 1 - Hiking out of Yosemite Valley up the Snow Creek trail, camping a couple miles past reaching the top - about 6 miles and 3700' gain by our estimates.

Day 2 - Northeast to May Lake to the backpacker's campground (6 miles + 1700')

Day 3 - Down past Tenaya Lake to Sunrise lakes (6 miles - 1200' + 1300')

Day 4 - Summit Cloud's Rest, camp somewhere near the JMT junction (8 miles + 600' - 2700')

Day 5 - Through LYV down the Mist trail back to Yosemite Valley (6 miles - 3200')

Thanks in advance for your comments!!
TrayS
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:33 am

The Snow Creek trail is open, hot and sunny - one of the things many overlook is that it can get up to 100F in Yosemite Valley in summer. That may be a brutal ascent, especially factoring in elevation gain. There are trails I will only hike once... that's one of them.

The rest of your hike, on the other hand, sounds gorgeous. If it were me doing the planning, I think I would park at Curry and take the hiker bus to Porcupine Creek, and start out on top with a trip to North Dome, heading up the pass from there.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby TrayS » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:01 am

Thanks, appreciate the reply!!

I'm going to run your recommendation about starting at Porcupine Creek by my group. However we have a permit for Snow Creek, so we'd have to be able to get that changed.

Assuming we stick with Snow Creek, I was thinking we would stay at the backpacker's camp next to North Pines and start out early (no later than 6:30-7 AM). Any thoughts on whether this would make a substantial enough difference in terms of discomfort on the trail?
TrayS
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:16 am

I'd start in the dark - 4 am. By the time the sun rises that would put me high enough to have a great sunrise view of the valley and get well past some of the slog work. I am able to hike faster when it's cool but this is offset by those inevitable granite steps, which are hard on my legs and slow me up a lot. This is one of those trails like Yosemite Falls that is better in the early spring - the views are great and the waterfalls are booming and picturesque. In summer, especially later, it's just hot and sweaty and the temptation is just to fall in the creek and stay there...

But that's me. Not everyone is so sensitive to heat bouncing off granite.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:49 am

I've done Snow Creek and Yosemite Falls Trail multiple times and enjoyed it. I've started out early (7am) and that really helps. Going up in the heat is bad, going down in the heat is not so bad, so leave early. Wear a big hat and bring cold water with you.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby cjoz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:50 pm

Can't emphasize enough how much you want to start the climb up Snow Creek EARLY. I was in a group that couldn't get their act together and MY GOD we didn't leave from the backpacker's camp until after 10 am and hit the trail proper (w/ the switchbacks) around 11:30.

This was June 26th and while not super hot generally it was like an oven hiking up the first set of 108 swtichbacks and 2600 ft for 2+ hrs before hitting the bridge over Snow Creek.

Fortunately, I had a full, 3 L bladder going up. We also happened to pass runoff to refill waterbottles for others that didn't pack as much. I wouldn't expect the water to last much deeper into the season. Fortunately, there are some shady areas to seek relief in.

The views are pretty nice going up. You're right across from Half Dome and can see down the valley. However, as an earlier poster said, I wouldn't plan a trip to do that climb one again.

For the money, I'd probably start at Porcupine Creek, hit North Dome and Indian Rock and then circle back to rejoin your route.
cjoz
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:27 pm

AlmostThere wrote:I'd start in the dark - 4 am.

Wow. :)

I'd make it all the way to TM if started then.

I love the Snow Creek Trail in the winter and in early spring
and late fall. (pretty much if Tioga Rd. is closed)

Personally I think your plan is just fine. You know what you're
getting yourself into. The mileage isn't huge. Should be fine.
(although when you cross Tioga Road your group is probably
whine and say "WHAT!! we coulda drove here!")

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:29 pm

bill-e-g wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:I'd start in the dark - 4 am.

Wow. :)

I'd make it all the way to TM if started then.

You hike a lot faster than I do uphill, bill. And probably tolerate the heat a lot better.

I enjoy night hiking now and then - it's like a different world. You see a lot more animals that way.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:38 pm

AlmostThere wrote:I enjoy night hiking now and then - it's like a different world. You see a lot more animals that way.

Gotcha. Done a lot of night hiking too. Really nice with a full moon.

Been up to Beehive sooo many times in the dark.
And towards Kibbie Lake or along Kibbie Ridge.
Turns a weekend trip into almost a 3 dayer.

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby TrayS » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:09 pm

Never been night hiking before, sounds like something I should try but I think I'd be afraid of tripping over a bear on a moonless night! :)

Thank you all for your very helpful comments. I'm leaving it up to my group to decide if we want to tackle Snow Creek in the early AM or switch to Porcupine Creek while there is still room on the trailhead!
TrayS
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking