Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Glacier->Illilouete->LYV->Mist Trail – UPDATE

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Glacier->Illilouete->LYV->Mist Trail – UPDATE

Postby Hitech » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:01 pm

Glacier -> Illilouete -> LYV -> Half Dome/Clouds Rest -> LYV -> Mist Trail

Starting on Sunday my wife and I are taking that trip (leaving on Wednesday). Half dome and maybe Clouds Rest will be a day hike out of LYV (or there about). Any last minute advice? The weather reports look to be hot during the day and not very cold at night. Some of the things I am curious about:

1. How long walking at a leisurely pace will it take to get from GP down the panorama trail to the camping area on Illilouette creek? Permit states to travel at least to the Buena Vista Trail Junction. Where is that?
2. Are there any water crossings along that route that might be a problem?
3. What are the skeeters like these days?

I’m planning on being at GP Sunday morning for sunrise, then day hiking out to Sentinel Dome. Then driving back down into the valley to leave the car and take the bus back up to GP to start the hike. I’m trying to decide what bus trip to take. If I take the 1:30pm bus, what time can I expect to make camp?

Thanks for any advice you may have. :D
Last edited by Hitech on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hitech
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Why not leave your car at GP, and at the end of your hike, take the bus back to retrieve it?
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:57 am

Do you have a map? You need a map.

You need a map.

You need a map. And compass. And at least basic navigation skills.

(This redundancy brought to you by a Search and Rescue volunteer.)

Tom Harrison makes accurate ones and there are several for the Yosemite area, available at REI or online from many common sources such as Amazon. Or the Tom Harrison website itself. Or the stores in Yosemite. Any topographic map such as National Geographic will do for basic backcountry navigating. REI teaches classes.... Yes, you have no time for classes, I know. For future backpacks then. (hand waving over)

You will need to travel up toward the Buena Vista trail junction on the Mono Meadow trail. You will see illegal fire rings here and there on the way - don't believe them, they are illegal.

It will take you as long as it takes you - the falls is 2 miles down canyon, you have to go another 2 to camp. I can hike that in an hour if i really push myself but an average person walks 2 mph - you will be going at a good pace if you do it in 2 hours, heavily laden backpackers who do not go out often can take longer. I am guessing since you are not sure how long it will take that it will take you longer, possibly 3-5 hours.

Mosquitos are in force right now especially around standing water. The meadows will have some. Take your headnets and spray.

Your map will show creek crossings on it. Also specific mileage and possibly even where to camp. (Many Nat Geographic maps block out the no camping zones quite well.)

Don't forget your bear can! Have fun. :)
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hitech » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:37 am

I do have a map (USGS Topo), and the same map in PDF. And a compass. I also have a GPS in my phone. I've looked at the map so many times I almost have it memorized. :wink:

I can see the crossings on the map, but was wondering if any of them are typically a problem. And we do not go out often at all. So I'll plan for 5 hours.

One of the other maps I have shows the allowed camping area much sooner than you mention. That makes it more confusing. But you have confirmed that it is where I thought it was.

I'm renting bear cans when we get there. Not the lightest, but the price is right. :wink:

I don't want to leave the car at GP and take the bus back up as then I have to make it down the mist trail on schedule. I'd rather have to make it to the valley Sunday morning on schedule. Besides, Wednesday is our anniversery and I have to be back to work Thursday. So, I'd rather have the car ready when I'm leaving. But, I did consider it. :D

Thanks for the info and advice.
Hitech
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:50 am

I don't think you will have a problem by the time you get there - I would not have crossed Ilillouette a few weeks ago when I was there. If you are crossing tributaries you will probably be okay. But I could be wrong. There is still a lot of snow up high around Red Peak and melting is still going on. If you get to it and find it's too dangerous for you, and there are no logs, you may have to do something else. Take trekking poles if you don't have them (they can be rented too). You could also ask the rangers, they should have some recent info from hikers who have been out there already.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hitech » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Thanks. I will make sure to ask about water crossings when I pick up the permit. I hate poles and my wife likes a single pole. But, I'll take one also just for water crossings. I will use one for that.

It also looks like I will have 2 compasses, 1 paper map, 2 GPS's (One garmin 60CSX and my phone) and a SPOT. Since you are SAR for the area, should I add you to the "come get me" message on the SPOT?!? LOL :lol:
Hitech
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Ha, no, I volunteer in one of the neighboring counties. Yosemite SAR is all paid employees - they are constantly training and patrolling, rescuing climbers off rock faces, so they earn every penny of it.

Have fun!
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:37 pm

:)

I probably mentioned this a bazillion times now...

There is a HUGE log across the Ill. along the Mono Mdw. Trail.
(just north of the crossing)

Since you're going to LYV you may want to not even cross it though
and come back up and then down the switchbacks so you
can see the best view of Illilouette Fall. Don't miss that IMO
if you are doing the Panorama Trail.

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Got GPS coordinates? I can mark Bill's Log on my map.

:wink:
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:43 pm

I'll look tonight... I even think I took a picture of it last year.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hitech » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:43 pm

I am planning on "back tracking" to Illilouette falls and up to LYV. Is that the best way (sounds like it is from your comment).

Thanks everyone. I like to plan things to death as my wife always reminds me. :wink:
Hitech
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby jlmathwhiz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:48 pm

Hey! I'm new to this forum, but I'm a Yosemite veteran, haha.

First off, sounds like an awesome itinerary you've got there. I assume you threw Illiouette in the mix because all the permits from everywhere else to LYV were taken...but hey, that's the way to do it. Don't expect any killer views of the fall despite how close you'll be to it (it's really buried in the gorge) but don't worry, you'll see plenty of waterfalls on the Mist trail. And be prepared to climb about 1000 feet out of Illiouette Gorge on the Panorama trail - you probably know that, but it caught me by surprise the first time I hiked the trail. =P

I REALLY wouldn't recommend doing both Half dome and Clouds Rest in the same day. Unless you're some superhiker who knocks out 20 miles every other weekend, be careful. Distances in Yosemite are really deceiving, especially on trails like Half Dome, Clouds Rest, and the Mist Trail - they're steep with lots of steps. 8 miles can easily be a full day. I know I probably sound like an annoying parent (and, in fact, I'm only 18 years old) but just keep that in mind. If I were you, I'd pick one that sounds more enticing to you (Half Dome's the Yosemite classic, but Clouds Rest has rivaling views without the crowds) - you'll have more time to enjoy it that way.

If you're a photographer, the Mist Trail is better in the afternoon, when the sun will be behind you. So keep that in mind. Otherwise, it's a joy any time of day. If you're looking to tack on a few miles, you can always take a hike up Little Yosemite Valley and just turn around when you feel like it. By the way, I wouldn't bother driving up to Glacier Point for the sunrise - late afternoon/sunset is much better. I'm absolutely obsessed with nature/landscape photography, so trust me on that one. :) I really want to suggest hiking up to GP on the Four-Mile trail instead of taking the bus, but it's supposed to be ridiculously hot on Sunday and that trail is a puffer, so I might save it for another time unless you don't mind sweating. (The weather was perfect just a week ago...why, oh why?)

as others have said, don't forget your bear canister, especially for LYV. It's a crowded campground and they've had intense bear problems in the past because a lot of people there are...well, kinda clueless about their food. As long as you follow the rules, you should have nothing to worry about.

I'll actually be driving up from LA on Saturday and doing Half Dome on Wednesday (going from the Valley floor in one day) so looks like I'll miss you on Half Dome by just one day! (There's a chance we'll cross paths while I'm on my way up, though!) Have an awesome trip. =)
jlmathwhiz

Postby Hitech » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I love to over plan and the more information the better. :D

My wife and I day hiked to the top of vernal falls and back via the mist trail last year the last week of June. That’s one of the reasons we are including it. We did do it in the afternoon, but that isn’t possible this time. Hopefully the light will be okay late morning. I will be taking pictures! :D

We are not super hikers by any means. But I did carry my 5 year old daughter (33 lbs at the time) on the mist trail in a book bag with holes for her legs... I don’t think we will end up getting to clouds rest (gotta do half dome just because), unless we find ourselves feeling good after the hike from Illilouette to LYV. And we get there early enough. Not much chance with the length of the hike and the climb up.

It just has to get HOT right when I’m going. Somehow that figures. And including the four mile trail on day one sounds just a little too ambitious for day one.

“I wouldn't bother driving up to Glacier Point for the sunrise”

Thanks. I was leaning that way anyway, and now I think it is a given. It would have been a pain logistically anyway. My wife remembers reading that Ansel Adams said sunrise at GP was one of his favorites. I think she remembers it wrong and it was sunset.

Hey, if you see us say hello. I’m 50 with a graying beard. I’ll be wearing a brown REI backpack and my wife will have a Blue Hitech pack. I’ll have on either a HummerX or Survivorman tee shirt. And I do answer to Hitech, or Larry. :D
Hitech
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:47 pm

There is one spot... where there IS a killer view of Ill. Fall:

Don't miss it. (probably some will say there should be a railing tho)

This was end of May this year:
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jlmathwhiz » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Whoohoo! Glad to know I'm not the only one here who over-plans things.

Yosemite Valley isn't the best place for sunrise because of the angle at which the sun comes in (most places are much better for sunset). If you don't mind crowds and tour buses, walk to Lower Yosemite Falls on your first morning. Never gets old. You can walk all around the meadows there, too (try Cook's Meadow). I know a walk around a meadow sounds like a snooze, but this one's beautiful.

I'm with you on going for Half Dome "just because" - just gotta make it to the top so you can come home wearing that "I survived Half Dome" t-shirt. Of course, awesome scenery doesn't hurt. =D

Taking the 1:30 bus is a good idea; Half Dome will just be starting to come out of the shadows when you arrive at GP.

by the way, I've heard the mosquitoes are terrible right now. They'll be the worst in meadows and around slow/stagnant water, especially at dawn and dusk - bring LOTS of repellant and don't be afraid to use it. I use 33% DEET so I don't even have to worry about those pests and can just gawk at the scenery :)

another random thought: consider not even lugging a sleeping bag with you unless you tend to get cold easily. Maybe just stuff a jacket in your backpack and put it on if you need it? (That's what I did for the Grand Canyon...in April...)

and one more recommendation: when you get down to the Nevada Fall area from Illilouette, take a quick detour about a quarter mile down the John Muir trail before you continue on to LYV. You'll get awesome views of Nevada Fall and the whole area.

I'll probably be wearing a big blue Osprey pack; even though I won't be staying overnight, it's just much more comfortable than my daypack, and my camera gear will probably fill it up anyway. (I might camp outside the wilderness center to try to score a walk-up permit for LYV, but the last thing I need is to wake up at 4AM two days in a row...)
jlmathwhiz

Next

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking