Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Glacier Point - Sunrise or Sunset

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Glacier Point - Sunrise or Sunset

Postby Hitech » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Which is better? I had originally planned both, but with the delays on GP road I'm wondering if it is worth it. So, are they both worth while, or would you pick only one? It will be this Saturday (sunset) and Sunday (sunrise).

Thanks yet again. :D
Hitech
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Sunset from Sentinel Dome on a full moon.

:)
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hitech » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Maybe I should change my plans. Since it's not going to be a full moon, would it be better than GP? Is the hike back in the dark very difficult (we will have head lamps)? I take it sunset is the better choice?

My wife will want to do both. I'd rather just do one or the other.
Hitech
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Sunset for sure! Here is a shot I took of Half Dome at Sunset from the valley floor. http://www.naturalimages.com/bhgi/slide ... 6_111.html
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hitech » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:37 am

Thanks everyone. We are doing sunset only. Having an enjoyable trip is better than cramming in every last thing you possibly can anyway. :D
Hitech
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:47 pm

If you do decide to go up Sentinel Dome... you can park much
closer than Taft Pt. TH.
As you head down the switchbacks towards GP and before
Washburn... look for a small spot to park with a chained off road
on the north side of the road.
Follow that right to the Dome. Fairly simple and very close.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hitech » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks. I saw that on the map and was wondering if you could park there. I'm hoping to get there on Saturday, prior to heading up to GP for sunset. Is there anywhere decent to eat that is closer than the valley? Regardless, any good suggestions on somewhere to eat dinner that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks again, this forum has been a HUGE help in planning this trip (I've read A LOT of posts). :D
Hitech
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:07 pm

Hitech wrote:Thanks. I saw that on the map and was wondering if you could park there. I'm hoping to get there on Saturday, prior to heading up to GP for sunset. Is there anywhere decent to eat that is closer than the valley? Regardless, any good suggestions on somewhere to eat dinner that won't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks again, this forum has been a HUGE help in planning this trip (I've read A LOT of posts). :D
Close to GP? Not really. My preference for a decent meal that isn't terribly expensive is the Loft in Yosemite Village. They serve a great pizza and have good beers on tap.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sierranomad » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:37 pm

hotrod4x5 wrote: My preference for a decent meal that isn't terribly expensive is the Loft in Yosemite Village. They serve a great pizza and have good beers on tap.

Mmm, yeah. I think that The Lofts pizza is a better value than from Curry Village.

I also like the cafeteria in Curry Village - a wide variety of decent tasting food, and as much as you can eat.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hitech » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:41 am

Thanks guys. Wish us luck (it's after midnight and it's an early morning).

Thanks again.
Hitech
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby sierranomad » Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:29 am

OK, I know this is too late for the op, but I don't have my images at the tip of my fingers like bill-e-g does :).

Image[/img]
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hitech » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:07 am

Not to late, just leaving home.

Great picture.
Hitech
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Erich1B » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:45 am

hotrod4x5 wrote:Sunset for sure! Here is a shot I took of Half Dome at Sunset from the valley floor. http://www.naturalimages.com/bhgi/slide ... 6_111.html

Nice shot.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but out of curiosity, what camera and lense did you use? I ask because I'm going to branch out from my pocket carry Panasonic DSM-TZ7 and get a full frame DSLR.
Erich1B
Regular
Regular

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:50 am

Erich1B wrote:
hotrod4x5 wrote:Sunset for sure! Here is a shot I took of Half Dome at Sunset from the valley floor. http://www.naturalimages.com/bhgi/slide ... 6_111.html

Nice shot.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but out of curiosity, what camera and lense did you use? I ask because I'm going to branch out from my pocket carry Panasonic DSM-TZ7 and get a full frame DSLR.

Thanks. Those were taken with my Nikon D200 and 80-200. If you aren't a professional, you may want to reconsider the "need" for a so called full framed digital body. For the vast majority of people a DX or APS-C body is more than enough. Canon takes this one step further with three chip sizes, APS-C, APS-H and 35mm film sized. There is no right or wrong way to do it, only more and more expensive ways to do it. PM me if you want more info, I don't want to hijack this thread further.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking