Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Lower High Sierra Camp directions--Clockwise versus Counter

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Lower High Sierra Camp directions--Clockwise versus Counter

Postby KC » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:35 pm

I am thinking about doing the three HSCs south of 120 for my next trip. I've covered Merced, May Lake, and Glen Aulin, but have yet to do Vogelsang and Sunrise (which a Ranger told me was engulfed in mosquitoes last week). Which direction is preferred for this trip?

I was thinking of doing Vogelsang first, then going to Merced and Sunrise. However, one of the hiking guides I have says going the opposite way is preferred. Anyone have any thoughts?

Much appreciate any input.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby backpacker3 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:37 pm

I would go clockwise, to better enjoy the views between Vogelsang and Merced.

The section between Merced and Babcock Lake is very steep though, so if you have bad knees you might want to go counterclockwise.
backpacker3

Postby centurycyclist » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:06 am

Having done it both directions, my recommendation is to go out Lyell Canyon up to Vogelsang---while it is a longer hike, Lyell is so beautiful, and the climb up to Vogelsang is primarily in the woods. Then, since you have a choice of going down to Merced via Lewis or Fletcher, i would take Lewis Creek---outstanding views from the top of the pass, and a path far less traveled by HSC hikers, so you have lots of solitude. Then from Merced---we went via the JMT. Have a great hike!
centurycyclist
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby KC » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Anyone ever done a cross country trip from Emeric Lake to the bridge over Echo Creek? I am considering skipping Merced Lake since I've already been there. The cross country doesn't look too difficult and definitely looks like it could cut some time off. That is assuming I don't go over Vogelsang Pass.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:55 am

bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:46 am

I guess I'm glad I didn't waste my time and draw the route I would
recommend.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster