Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

temps around Vogelsang at night in sept

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

temps around Vogelsang at night in sept

Postby lucid1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:25 pm

Will be packpacking for a week in early september (6-13) leaving from Tuolumne Meadows and going by Sunrise, Cloud's Rest, Vogelsang and out via Lyell Canyon. My buddy and I werwe wondering what the avg temps shoul dbe like during the day and, especially, at night.

Thanks.
lucid1

Postby jfr » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:57 pm

I would expect lows in the thirties, or lower, and highs in the fifties and sixties, but it's hard to say what you'll actually get. It could be warmer, or it could snow.

The best way to get an idea of what is actually going on is to regularly check out the raw data from the Tuolumne Meadows Weather Station. Do it often and you won't be surprised (or frozen) in September...

The forum won't let me post any links yet (even though I technically qualify according to the rules it showed me when I tried to post one) so if you google: tuolumne tmec1 weather data
http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/roman/meso_base.cgi

The second link shown is a mesowest utah edu site
http://mesowest.utah.edu/

Try the "change to Graphical" link on the left column, then play with the pull-down menus above the graphs until you get a display that works for you, then bookmark the page and check it often.

TMEC1 is the name of the Tuolumne Meadows Weather Station...
jfr

Postby jfr » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:08 am

Ah! The forum "elves" put some links in my post! Thanks!

The first link is to weather at Big Piney - but that's not TMEC1, sadly.

The second mesowest utah link gets us somewhere. In the upper left, where it says "Station Search", use the pull-down menu and choose "Station ID" then type TMEC1 in the box and hit enter. At that point, on the left side, you can "Change to Graphical Display", then in the pull-down menus above the graph, choose 1 Day, 2 Days, etc. and click the Change Graph Settings button. Then bookmark the page when it's set the way you like it.

Let me see if the forum will now allow me to post a link:
http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=TMEC1&unit=0&time=LOCAL&product=&year1=&month1=&day1=00&hour1=00&hours=&graph=1&past=0

Hooray! I'm now a real board member! Thanks!

Edit: Since I'm allowed, here's a NOAA link to the same data, but with a nicer page layout:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=hnx&sid=TMEC1&num=168&raw=0&dbn=m
jfr

Postby lucid1 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:42 am

Very helpful -- many thanks!

L1
lucid1

Postby jfr » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Sadly, the TMEC1 weather station stopped reporting last week! Hopefully someone will get up there and fix it. As for me, I'll be sleeping in the backpackers camp in Tuolumne tomorrow night, so I'll know first hand what the temperature is! Maybe I'll mention the data outage to the ranger.

On Thursday I'll be heading out on a ten-day trek in the the high country, heading south into the Ansel Adams Wilderness, and looping back. I'll post a trip report with pics when I get home in a couple of weeks.

Have fun!
jfr

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking