Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

McGurk > Panorama Trail (Hitchhiking?)

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

McGurk > Panorama Trail (Hitchhiking?)

Postby w05 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:57 am

Hi, This is my first time to Yosemite. My wife and I are thinking about a two-night backpacking trip in early August. We're looking for an epic hike, but of course permits are snagged already for the most popular routes. We are thinking about doing the Panorama Trail via the McGurk Meadows trailhead.

Afternoon of Day 1 - Leaving from McGurk, camping at the Pohono Trail junction near Bridalveil Creek.

Day 2 - Long day along the Pohono Trail and Panorama Trail to camp at Little Yosemite Valley.

Morning of Day 3 - Hike out down the Mist Trail or JMT.

I have a few questions about this route:

1) It looks like the Glacier Point Bus does not make stops at trailheads along the road. What a bummer! How do we get to McGurk? Leave our car in the valley and hitchhike?

2) Day 2 looks like 13 or 14 miles, with some ups and downs. Is this an enjoyable pace or is it going to kill us? (We are in our early 30s, reasonably fit). Should we break it up with an extra night at Illouette?

3) Would you recommend going north or south around Sentinel Dome between Taft Point and Glacier Point?
w05

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:25 am

1) hitchhike or arrange a ride, or extend the trip a day and hike up from the tunnel. I think one of the shuttles stops at the tunnel. Could camp in ilillouette, and go up the Panorama on a more leisurely day to LYV. Might give you enough time to go beyond LYV and camp at some of the sites further up the valley.

2) It's been really hot in the valley. It will be warm/hot on the exposed parts of the Pohono and Panorama. Make sure you're drinking a bunch of water...

3) It doesn't really matter... not a huge distance. The valley side of the dome will give you some views and shade, the other side will be more open and dry.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby KC » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:25 am

You might be better off starting at Sentinel Dome. Just take that trail down to Taft Point and cut over to Bridal Veil. There's camping before that too, though technically the Park Service wants you to be four miles from GP. Assuming that creeks are still running, there's plenty of opportunity for camping further back in the woods too. Just keep a clean campsite and nobody will ever know.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking