Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Budd Creek to Yosemite Valley X-Country

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Budd Creek to Yosemite Valley X-Country

Postby w05 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:43 am

I'm interested in hiking from Tuolumne Meadows to the Yosemite Valley via Budd Lake (the only permit available) next weekend. My wife and I are experienced backpackers and good with a topo map and compass, but we've never gone X-Country hiking before. Most of the information I've found about Budd Creek is for climbers rather than hikers. We don't have any climbing experience -- not even scrambling really -- so we are looking for a 100% non-technical route.

I've got the Tom Harrison "Yosemite High Country" (1:63360, 80 ft contour lines). Looking at the topo, it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to go up Budd Creek to Budd Lake, then bear southwest until we hit the Cathedral Fork, then south to Echo Lake and keep following the river until we meet up with the trail down to Echo Valley. Can we do this? Is it as awesome as it seems on paper?
w05

Postby w05 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:11 am

I should clarify that we can take 3 or 4 days on this trip. Another option on the table is Budd Lake > Echo Lake > Sunrise Lakes > Tenaya. I'm basically just trying to get a sense of whether the cross-country is within our skill level.
w05

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:03 am

First of all, I HAVE NOT DONE THIS TRIP. So take this with a grain of salt.

But it seems that you could pretty easily go to Budd Lake the first night. You should then be able to head either due west or southwest around that ridge and through the saddle to upper Cathedral Lake...and use the trails from then on.

Most wilderness permits really only regulate the trailhead and where you spend the first night. After that you have some flexibility on where to camp and hike.

Bear in mind that cross country hiking will take you at least twice as long as trail hiking...figure on a mile per hour as a good rate, unless you run into problems. Then it can be even slower.

But you have plenty of time ( and days ) to do this hike
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:34 am

First of all you can't camp at Budd Lake on the first night.
You have to be over the crest on day 1.

Rather than repeat what I've said before... please read this and
the links in there.

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?3,27330

Ok, I'll repeat one thing. There is a TRAIL to Budd Lake.

Map here:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php ... #msg-27355

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:07 am

Read this one too. Read the end part especially.
I show where the Budd Lake trail is and recommendation for Jim.

http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php ... #msg-26855

I really didn't read what your experience really is so...

Do what you like at your own risk. Be safe. Have fun.
Leave No Trace
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby w05 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks for the replies. Seems pretty straightforward. Anybody got a mosquito forecast for Budd/Echo/Cathedral/Sunrise/Merced, July 30 to August 1?
w05

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking