Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Differing trail lengths listed for Clouds Rest?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Differing trail lengths listed for Clouds Rest?

Postby kathy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm hoping someone can clear this up. I've seen the hike to Clouds Rest from Tenaya Lake listed as anywhere from 12.2 to 14.4 miles. Can anyone tell me the length?

We hike here in the White Mtns. in New Hampshire and are quite comfortable with 8-10 miles up and over the glacial debris and are just trying to gauge the feasibility for some of the less frequent hikers in our group.

Thanks.
Life's a trip...pack accordingly.
kathy
Regular
Regular

Postby puuncho » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:34 am

The round trip would be around 14 miles (13.8 according to the signs on the trail ! ), however the elevation gain is reasonable (~700 m, plus maybe 300 m on the way back).
Have fun !
puuncho

Postby balzaccom » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:46 pm

It's about 14 miles...depends on where, exacty, you park your car.

But you can do this. Don't try to race along, just keep a steady pace, keep hydrated and fed, and give yourself time to do it. 7hours at 2 mph...and it's the best day hike in Yosemite, if you ask me!
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby baseline bum » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:04 pm

balzaccom wrote:It's about 14 miles...depends on where, exacty, you park your car.

But you can do this. Don't try to race along, just keep a steady pace, keep hydrated and fed, and give yourself time to do it. 7hours at 2 mph...and it's the best day hike in Yosemite, if you ask me!

Gotta strongly agree with that. I have done higher summits, but none with as rewarding of a view.
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby kathy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks folks! I'm psyched. Will try to keep the steady pace despite my excitement.
Life's a trip...pack accordingly.
kathy
Regular
Regular

Postby jpcal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Great views from up top, better than Half Dome, because you dont have a thousand other people up there with you.
Mt. Hoffman gives some great views, especially of the northern part of the park. Clouds rest would have the perfect view if Hoffman wasn't there.
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking