Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Picking up my Permit

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Picking up my Permit

Postby JohnD » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:43 pm

This is my first backing trip in Yosemite, and my first time thru-hiking the JMT. We are arriving Friday Afternoon via the YART bus. Our Permit is for Saturday Morning the 14th. Can we pick up the Permit Friday afternoon, or do we have to show up early in the morning Saturday at the Permit office before setting off.

Thanks.
John
John Demaree
La Mesa, CA
JohnD

Postby balzaccom » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:57 pm

You need to pick it up that morning...
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Thanks

Postby JohnD » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:15 pm

balzaccom wrote:You need to pick it up that morning...

I thought I read that somewhere, but when I went back to the forums and the official website, I couldn't find anything definitive.
John Demaree
La Mesa, CA
JohnD

Postby JohnD » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:00 pm

It seems like with a Saturday start, I have to stand in line with all of the people getting day hiking permits for Half Dome. If that's the case, I'm not looking forward to it.
John Demaree
La Mesa, CA
JohnD

Postby LVRAY » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:44 pm

If you have a reservation, you can pick up your permit the day before. You do not have to wait until the morning of your trip. This info is directly from the Yosemite NPS website. See the following:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wpres.htm

Read the 3rd paragraph from the bottom where it states:
"Even with a reservation, you, or another member of your hiking group, must pick up the wilderness permit at any permit station during business hours the day of, or the day before, your hike. Reserved permits are held until 10 am on the day of your trip."

Enjoy your trip.
LVRAY
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby JohnD » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks LVRAY

I read that sentence before your post and just read right over that part. That will be a lot easier not having to go back to Yosemite Village before heading to the trial head.
John Demaree
La Mesa, CA
JohnD

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:17 pm

JohnD wrote:It seems like with a Saturday start, I have to stand in line with all of the people getting day hiking permits for Half Dome. If that's the case, I'm not looking forward to it.

That's impossible. Day hike permits can only be obtained online. You must mean people getting wilderness permits...

And no, you don't have to stand in line. You can pick it up the previous day while the office is open, all the better to facilitate the possible stay in the backpacker's campground that night...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:21 am

Whoops. My Bad. Thanks for correcting my misinformation...

You CAN pick them up the day before!
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking