Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

trip report - Chain Lakes & Merced Pass Lakes area

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

trip report - Chain Lakes & Merced Pass Lakes area

Postby hiker97 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:11 pm

We started at the Quartz Mountain trailhead on 7/23 and spent 4 days/3 nights backpacking in the Chain Lakes and Merced Pass Lakes area of southern Yosemite. These remote forest service roads might have been impacted by snow until early July, but they were entirely clear and dry on our trip. The trailhead was a dry and dusty location, so we were tricked into thinking we could enjoy the entire hike in with shorts and short-sleeved shirts. Wrong! Once the trail descended into a wet, boggy meadow, the mosquito attack began. On days 2-4 most of us in the group had the zip-offs reattached to the pants and one of my buddies hiked with the mosquito head net for a good portion of the day. Middle and Upper Chain Lakes (9,000' elevation) were spectacular with cold water but still very enjoyable for a swim. The skeeters left us alone mid-day except for those gorgeous wet wildflower-filled meadows. On the first evening, I experienced something for the first time ever - the mosquitos biting me through my thick wool hiking socks (I had Tevas on to relax) as we enjoyed our camp fire. I received about 50 bites on each foot. This was remedied on nights 2 and 3 by keeping the sock liner and the wool socks on, plus spraying deet on the socks, which worked just fine.

Only two of our group of five made it up to Ottoway Lakes and Red Peak Pass, which were simply spectacular! There was about a 50-100 yard stretch of the trail approaching Red Peak Pass where it was totally covered with snow; otherwise it had melted but it the top was still accessible from the south. The northeasterly sides were entirely snow-covered and inaccessible without crampons, etc. The rest of our group missed Ottoway as one of our group took a wrong turn at a trail junction and we had to go after him to find him, which took the better part of our second day. Thankfully he was safe, just a bit embarassed at having taking the wrong turn and glad to see his buddies pursue him and give up their destination on the trip. All in all, one of the best trips we've taken and simply gorgeous up in Yosemite with all of the water and green flower-filled meadows.
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking