Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

The Bear Bell Boys

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

The Bear Bell Boys

Postby balzaccom » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:09 am

From our blog:

So there we were, resting below a pass over 9,000 feet in the Sierra Nevada,and a strange tinkling noise came to our ears. I looked at my wife in confusion. A bear bell? In the Sierra? (We've seen one bear in the last three years and three hundred miles of backpacking--and it ran away when it saw us.)

For those who don't know: bear bells are used by some hikers in Grizzly country to give an audible warning. Grizzlies hear a lot better than they see, and the goal of the bear bell is to let Ursus Horribilus know you are coming. In Glacier National Park the old joke is that you can always tell the difference between Black Bear and Grizzly Bear scat, because the Grizzly Bear scat always has little bells in it!

But the last Grizzly Bear in California was shot in 1922, and there have been only 12 Black Bear attacks in the state since 1980--that's thirty years-- and none of them were fatal. (To put this in perspective, over 4,000 people die every year in motor vehicle accidents in the state.) So wearing a bear bell in the Sierra is a bit over the top---particularly if you drove your car to the trailhead!

When the group of middle-aged men passed us, I couldn't help asking: Is that a bear bell your wearing?

Yep, it was. "I really, really don't want to see any bears on this trip!"

Nor any other wildlife, it would appear.

After they passed us by, we waited a bit longer on the trail--we could hear that bell dingling down along the trail for quite a few minutes after they passed. We shared chuckle at their expense, and then finally took up our packs and followed them down the trail in peace ad quiet.

Which would have been an amusing end to the story, but it wasn't. The next day, as we rested in our campsite, we heard a familiar tinkling coming down the trail. Yep--they were hiking the same route, and set up their camp across the lake from us. No harm done, and we shared another smile.

The next morning, as we started out, we found our same group of just leaving their camp. I invited them to go first (since they had passed us the first time, I assumed they were the faster hikers.) I figured that they would be out of earshot within a few minutes, especially if we walked a slower pace behind them.

Not so. It turned out that they were quicker to descend a trail, but slower going uphill. Within five minutes we found them sprawled along the trail resting. "We take a lot of rests, so we are probably going to be passing each other all day long," explained one of the men.

Oh joy. "I hope not," I replied. "You should just pick a livable pace and hold it." I replied. I was not in the mood to hike to the sounds of little bells in the wilderness all day long.

To their credit. they did just that. And it turned out that their pace up over the next 10,000 foot pass was slower than ours. We had a lovely day hiking in sweet solitude, the only sounds we heard being the wind in the trees, the burbling of the streams, and the singing of the birds.

It was only much later that afternoon, after we had set up camp, that I heard the bell again. I was fishing the nearby creek when I heard its now familiar tinkle as the men walked by up the canyon.

We never saw or heard the again. No did we see any bears.

But if you find some bear scat high in the Sierra with a litte bell in it, you'll know what happened!
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:38 am

I see those everywhere. I suppose they keep selling them in California parks because people buy them... but I wish they wouldn't.

I leapfrogged a group of young guys all day last Saturday because they wouldn't just pick a sustainable pace on the trail. That was less annoying but they also had the habit making comments each time - I suppose their male egos needed to mock so they felt better about some middle age ladies passing them repeatedly but I did almost snap back at them about it....
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:49 am

You'll have to explain to me why they sell Bear Spray too.

Just ridiculous.

Friend that hikes with me now and then has one. I told him if he
brings it along ever it will be the last time since I will steal it and
smash it with a rock.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby baseline bum » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:41 pm

I'm surprised you could hear those little bells very far out. I was under the impression that they were completely useless and that a bear would only hear them when it was already way too close for comfort and within mauling range. I can't imagine hiking in those annoying things; I think I'd rather cover myself in honey and hike through Katmai than wear those.
Last edited by baseline bum on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Re: The Bear Bell Boys

Postby baseline bum » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:45 pm

balzaccom wrote:In Glacier National Park the old joke is that you can always tell the difference between Black Bear and Grizzly Bear scat, because the Grizzly Bear scat always has little bells in it!

:lol:

You forgot the part about the grizzly scat smelling like pepper though!
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:16 pm

When we did Glacier / backpacking and dayhiking for a week
I refused to buy Pepper Spray. No way my skittish little butt
is gonna be able to pull out spray and use it if a Grizzly REALLY
wanted to go off. I'd probably just pee my pants and
become catatonic. (or shrill like a little girl).
When we were on the Highline Trail two little girls had bear bells
on AND were singing. Argh! We REALLY picked up the pace
at that point!
:)
The people I talked to that went a lot never had to use spray.
We did see a few Grizzlies up on hills and across Lakes.
Only felt uneasy when dayhiked (and waded) around Gunsight Lake.
I'm def. OK with no Grizz's in Yose. Much prefer camping and
sleeping and eating whever I want. Thank you very much.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:48 pm

When I lived in Alaska the Grizzlies weren't the problem, it was the Black Bears...
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sierranomad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:21 pm

Some years ago Backpacker magazine had an article on bear bells and whether they were effective. It claimed that someone tied a bell to a bush and aimed a camera at it. Bears came and sniffed it! The thinking was that they didn't associate the sound with humans, but it did raise their curiosity.

A Yellowstone ranger told us that in his opinion, bear bells were useless for the same reason as mentioned above (but he didn't site the BP article).

He said to carry bear spray and be alert. When traveling in areas where you can't see what's close, to sing or talk loud.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby baseline bum » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:42 pm

bill-e-g wrote:The people I talked to that went a lot never had to use spray.

The guy who got killed in the Shoshone National Forest (just east of Yellowstone) this June was of the same mindset of never carrying it. Of course, that was far from the biggest mistake in that case, as he entered an area he knew there was grizzly trapping in, from posted signs. However, the researchers who were doing the trapping came and removed the warning signs as soon as they dropped the drugged grizzly off a mile from this guy's cabin, and his family is saying the signs being taken down led him to believe the area was safe to hike in again. JMO, but no way I'd go in grizzly country without the stuff. From frequenting Yellowstone boards, there are definitely people who seem to follow all the right precautions and still ended up needing to use it, and I know Jack Hanna credits it with saving his life when a young grizzly came after him on the trail to Grinnell Glacier last month.
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby baseline bum » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:52 pm

EDIT: bad joke.... I'd never buy the stuff for Yosemite and the surrounding areas. I might consider taking a can of it if I do a roadtrip to Yosemite though, as I have already bought it for Yellowstone and the Beartooth and know the odds are extremely strong that I won't have used it there.
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:40 am

I'm sure there are plenty of stories and whatnot from people
who frequent Grizzly country.
If I lived in that area then I'd probably would carry the spray
and practice taking it out and getting ready to use it.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sierranomad » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:04 am

I get the impression that bear spray is the kind of thing that you may well never use in a life-time of hiking in Yellowstone; but not to have it in grizzly country is, IMO, foolish.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby holz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:47 pm

I've spent some significant time hiking in Grizzly country, mostly in the Canadian Rockies.

I always insisted that EVERYONE carry bear spray. The thought was that if someone was being attacked by a grizzly, that one of other other members of the party would be able to use the spray. I can only imagine how hard it would be to hit a bear in the face while he is charging you. . . . My hand probably wouldn't be perfectly steady. . . .

Also, we did call to them from time to time pretty much as conditions warranted.

I have seen very fresh bear sign (roto tilled meadows etc) and have absolutely no doubt that they were watching me at times, I have never been fortunate enough to see any bear in the wild (other than beside the road) on any of my dozens of trips into the woods. /sigh
holz
holz
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby sierranomad » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:03 pm

holz wrote:I have never been fortunate enough to see any bear in the wild (other than beside the road) on any of my dozens of trips into the woods. /sigh

I was both disappointed and relieved that I didn't see a griz while hiking. We did see 4 from the car, but it's just not the same. Most of my hiking I did solo (I know, it's not recommended). If I had been with others I would have had much less anxiety about running across a griz.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking