Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Risk of theft in backcountry

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Risk of theft in backcountry

Postby jms703 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:56 am

What are your thoughts on the risk of gear theft in the backcountry? Say I wanted to camp in the same spot for 2 nights. I was hoping to leave my tent setup and go for a day hike. Is there a risk of coming back to no tent, sleeping bag, pad, pack, etc? Better yet, has this happened to someone?
jms703
Regular
Regular

Postby Wickett » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:58 am

I leave my stuff all the time. I have not had an experience of stuff getting stolen but I am sure that it has happened. I keep all of my more valuable stuff out of sight, no need to draw in people with easily taken gear laying around.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:00 pm

In Yosemite, if you are two nights away from the road/trailhead, no worries.

I have heard of tents/gear being stolen in Little Yosemite Valley, but that is not backcountry - tourists show up there all the time. I take care in Backpacker campgrounds in Yosemite not to leave valuables around. Once on the trail and beyond a typical tourist's day hike, I don't worry at all.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sierranomad » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:15 pm

Neither have I ever had a problem. I too, take or hide valuables that are small enough to be taken (i.e. camera).

I like to think that there's a camaraderie and respect in the backcountry that makes people more honest. Additionally, though, a backpacker is not going to be anxious to carry additional weight, making your tent or sleeping bag less appealing.
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:35 am

Never had any issues. I wouldn't worry about it.

If someone was asinine enough to steal someones bag or tent
they are pretty darn stupid since they would be possibly
putting someone's life in danger.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:19 am

I agree, Bill. We've left our campsite to go on a day hike many times, and never gave it a second thought.

But there's another situation: leaving the packs on the trail while we go climb a peak or something. IN this case, we'll move the packs off the trail so they are not so obvious---and we remove our food and store it away from our packs. It's more of a defense against animals than humans.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jeremy1701 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:56 am

balzaccom wrote:It's more of a defense against animals than humans.

^ This.

I've hiked in quite a few places and never felt the need to protect my stuff from anything more then animals. Last time I was in Yosemite, we left our stuff at LYV for a day hike and never even thought twice about theft (from humans).

I don't think theft is a real cause for concern... Anyone that takes your stuff is, after all, going to have to carry it out!
jeremy1701
Regular
Regular

Postby jms703 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:52 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Our stuff was left undisturbed as we had hoped.
jms703
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking