Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First Timer Question

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

First Timer Question

Postby BoggyBoy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:40 am

for my 50th birthday I wanted to do something i've never done... go backpacking in yosemite. My conditioning is very good -- I run 30 minutes 5 times per week... so I don't think conditioning will be an issue.

I will be traveling out alone... couple questions:

Are there others I can join up with if i do this? I'd prefer not being alone once I arrive at the park.

Is there some info out there that will help me prepare. I'm looking at early october. Thanks in advance!!

John
John Goodson
BoggyBoy

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:06 am

If you have never gone backpacking before, do you have gear?

Look on Meetup.com - there are a lot of hiking groups that go backpacking in Yosemite, from all over California. I am part of two of them. Last backpacking trip we had someone from Boston join us while she was in town on business. Also check the Tehipite chapter of the Sierra Club - there are backpacking outings on their schedule and you do not have to be a member to go.

As for preparing, for Yosemite wilderness info you can look at the park website, http://nps.gov/yose, there is a ton of info on regulations - you need to especially follow the food storage, some bears are year round nuisances. In terms of backpacking gear... look at the articles at backpacking.net. I submit that because you are not 20 and indestructible that you avoid traditional gear from REI and similar and consider lightweight backpacking - as a person of good health who came back to backpacking after decades of desk jobs, I can tell you that getting into this late as you are, a 20-30 lb pack will be quite enough, 40-50 will be impossible and lead to aches and pains you didn't know you could have. Avoid 6 pound 85 liter packs that will invite you to load it with camp chair and look instead for 50-60 liter packs of 3 lbs or less... Unless you are renting gear, in which case you will get what they rent you. Beyond that your budget and your intent to continue backpacking or not should be an issue - I backpack all the time, so I invested considerable effort to research and purchase the right things, light and compact enough to fit in a 40 liter pack, resulting in a 25 lb 3-5 day pack.

And elevation kicks your butt. I have had hikers in my groups who hit the gym three times a week gasping and faltering because of a change in elevation. Can't predict who elevation will affect - so if you don't live over 5-6k and you can dayhike somewhere over 7,000 feet before you go, do it.

October can be difficult because the park services shut down to a minimum starting in September. By mid-October you will be unable to park on Tioga Rd, and shuttles are weekends only. You will want clothing and gear good to 20F at night.

I would suggest a loop hike or a simple out and back from the valley or one of the trailheads in the southwest of the park, and for your first backpacking trip... something that is shorter rather than longer. Ideally you would be hiking and doing a low mileage overnight well before you come to the park, to test your gear and yourself in the wilderness first.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Thanks

Postby BoggyBoy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:29 am

I will need to purchase everything.

Thanks for such a great answer.. Just the info I was looking for!
John Goodson
BoggyBoy

Postby hotrod4x5 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:42 am

Look into renting at least some of your gear. Backpack, bear box, even sleeping bags and pads can all be rented.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:47 am

Yup - our Bostonian visitor rented stove, pack, trekking poles, tent, bag, pad at REI in Fresno - you can also rent gear local to Yosemite at a place called Herb Bauer, also in Fresno. Not the lightest around but it will serve if you do not yet have a complete setup yourself.

Another place - lowergear.com - but I cannot vouch for them as I have not used them.

Bear cans can be rented at the park for five dollars, if you don't want the Garcia you can also rent the Bearikade by mail (check the Wild Ideas website for info on sizes and pricing). Stores in Yosemite are also selling the two sizes of Bare Boxer for a decent price; the smaller is good for up to 3 days for one person, and only costs $42.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby petho » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:16 pm

John,
When are you planning on going on your backpack?
I am in the same boat however a year younger. I have always wanted to backpack and have been researching gear and trips for the last few months. I have joined a local meetup ( San Diego) however they seem to run intermediate and advanced trips.

Ha! We should put together an "Old Timers" backpack!

Let me know,
oscar
petho
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:03 pm

You guys should just stay home and watch football.

If you start you may end up like me... a total nutjob
and wanting to go all the time.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:47 pm

I'm closing in fast on that big 5-0. :) Lots of us getting out there after years of slave labor spending weekends in service to other things...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby petho » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:21 pm

Here's the pitch:
3 Days, 2 Nites.
Glacier Point to LYV; camp there 2 nites; then LYV to the JMT to Happy Isles.

No pack mules and I'm bringin' the Aspirin! :lol:

who's in?

Oscar
petho
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:26 pm

Sorry, Oscar, I don't camp in LYV anymore - it reminds me too much of car camping. :)

I'm going up into the Dinkey Wilderness for three days starting Saturday if you want to come. :)
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby petho » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks for the tip. I am researching the Dinkey Wilderness as I don't know much about it.
Can you tell me a bit about where you are packing and give me some ideas on good trails.

Oscar
petho
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Dinkey is pretty ... dinky. :) There are a lot of lakes, usually 5-20 minutes apart, and most are on a loop, some are off trail, others are down side trails. The two main trailheads most use are Cliff Lake from Courtright coming back into the lake basin from the east, and Willow Meadow, on the west boundary. For Willow Meadow you need a high clearance vehicle but the elevation gain is gradual and shorter from that side. From Courtright it's longer miles with switchbacks over a ridge to get down to Rock Lake and Second Dinkey. But you can camp the first night at Cliff Lake. There are class 1 - 3 peaks, the Three Sisters and Dogtooth, and most of the area is over 9,000 feet. You can probably get a 3-5 day hike out of the trails unless you are very leisurely.

I usually camp at Island and wander around from there. Good fishing most of the year, variety of trout varies from one lake to the next.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking