Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

More Trip Suggestions??

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

More Trip Suggestions??

Postby ggryd » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:15 pm

In reading this forum, I am impressed with the vast array of opinions, and suggestions. A lot of intelligent information.

Currently planning an early Oct 8 day trip, first time to YNP. I have 8 days and wonder if one loop, or 2 4-day routes, or any combination of day hikes from a base camp?

And coming from FL, what are some suggestions on effective, warm weather gear? And is there a good outfitter in the Park?
ggryd

Postby balzaccom » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:14 pm

WIthout knowing more about you, and what you can do, I'll still make the following suggestions:

1. In October, the weather can be highly variable. Daytime highs can reach the low 80's, but we've also had it fall well below freezing at night at 6,000 feet. Plan your trips and your gear accordingly.

2. Yosemite is huge, and if you've never been there before, you really owe it to yourself to try and see more than just one area of the park. If that's the case, traveling on foot the whole time will limit your options. I'd spend a couple of days day-hiking and driving the car to Glacier Point (and hike to Sentinel Dome) Tuolumne Meadows ( and a hike to Cathedral Lakes or up the Lyell Canyon--Maybe taking the time to hike to Tuolumne Grove to see the redwoods on the way) and at least one day doing the obvious things in Yosemite Valley: seeing lower Yosemite Falls, wandering about the meadows, staring up at hte climbers on El Capitan, etc. Bear in mind that most of the waterfalls will be a mere shadow of themselves at that point...as the creeks will be much lower or even dry by then.

That would still leave you 4-5 days for a backpacking trip. And there are lots of great ones. The most popular is Little Yosemite Valley, up from Happy Isles past Vernal and Nevada Falls, to Merced Lake and beyond....and if you get there before October 12, a trip to the top of Half Dome. (If you don't like the idea of waiting in line to climb Half Dome Clouds Rest has better views and only about 10% of the people....and is higher in elevation--I much prefer it to Half Dome)

Or a lovely hike from Tuolumne Meadows up Rafferty or Lyell Creeks, and then down through LYV to Happy Isles.

But you should know that something like 50% of all the backpackers in the park will be on those trails---which leave a lot of other trails in much greater solitude. Illilouette Canyon is lovely, and the fishing in Lower Ottaway Lake is terrific--and you could still come back into Happy Isles from that trail, connecting below Glacier Point on the Panorama Trail...

That should get you started...First step would be a campground reservation for the first couple of days of your trip. Crane Flat almost always has room, and it's easy to access both Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne Meadows from there. And that will let you spend a couple of days getting oriented, and also allow you to talk to a ranger in the wilderness center about which permits might be available to backpack where and when.

There is NOT a good outfitter in the park. I don't know how you are traveling, but I'd strongly suggest a stop at an REI or ANy Mountain store on the way....and to put together as much of you kit as you can before you arrive. If you're lucky, you might find the right kind of stove gas at the Park store in October---they really let inventories run down near the end of the season. Two years ago we got the last two gas cannisters for our stove on October 9th

Hope that helps.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:35 pm

The gear store next to the grocery store in Yosemite Village is pretty darn good for an in-store park. Not for things like packs and sleeping bags - they have some clothing, kitchen type items, couple stoves, fuel canisters, a small selection of things like shoes, headlamps, even a few shelters/tents. It is open year round.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/destination ... shops.aspx

If you are wanting to rent gear or buy the more expensive items like packs, sleeping bags, boots, or a specific item, better to check at outfitters in Fresno, Merced, or other cities along your route on the way into the park.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Here's a link to the page of our website that lists our favorite hikes, both backpacking and dayhikes, in Yosemite.

http://www.backpackthesierra.com/home/d ... tioga-pass
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:01 am

I love Yosemite. That being said, with 8 days, I would for sure see more than just Yosemite. Not sure where you are coming from, so you can adjust the days based on where you are coming from.

I would spend 2 or 3 days (either before Yosemite or after) on the east side down in and around Lee Vining. Start ad dawn at Mono Lake. Walk among the Tufa, watch the sunrise at the south tufa area. Feel the water in your hands.

Then head north on 395 and go to Bodie ghost town. This town once housed 10,000 people and had hundreds of buildings. They now have maybe a dozen, maybe a little more buildings that the park service keeps in a state of arrested decay. They are helping them not fall down, but not fully restoring them.

Stay either in one of two motels in Lee Vining or camp at one of the campgrounds on 120 just west of 395. Have dinner at the Mobil gas station where they serve gourmet food. (it has limited hours in October, so you may want to call them in advance)

Then on your second day, head down to Mammoth Lakes. Drive through town and down into Red's Meadow. Take a day hike to Devil's postpile and Rainbow Falls. It's nice off season because you can drive your own vehicle. (in summer you have to take a shuttle)

Depending on how long you spend there, you might stay the night in Mammoth lakes, or if you got there early, and are done with Rainbow, you can drive south to McGee creek and hike up into the Sierra as far as you want. This trail goes a long way, so if you want to do this as a full day, you can go further.

Now head into Yosemite on 120, and follow the Yosemite suggestions that have been already made.

I could easily spend 8 days all on the east side, never entering Yosemite, so there are many other things to do that I left off, but you definitely want to go to Yosemite, having never been.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby kathy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:23 am

I'd second the suggestion for hiking around the Tuolumne Meadows area. We based out of there for our 8 days and I'll definitely be back. Lyell Canyon is incredible, and the hike up to Cathedral Lakes (once you adjust to the higher altitude and thinner air) is easy enough.

I'd also keep in mind that temps will be significantly lower in the higher elevations so plan accordingly. We were a little lax in this area and had a couple of chilly nights until we figured everything out.

Some shots of Cathedral Lake area here:

http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=3217
Life's a trip...pack accordingly.
kathy
Regular
Regular

Postby ggryd » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:33 pm

Man, this is great information and I'll process it all carefully. And the links, too. Already, a couple of further questions?:

1) Was told when I reserved my backcountry permit that, a) some streams and creeks would be dry; b) no campground reservation was required in Oct. True??

2) Are different permits required for the various day hikes mentioned here, from different trailheads, or will my permit from HI and returning days later work everywhere?

3) Coming from S. Florida, avoiding crowds is a HIGH priority. What route could this take?

4) Obtaining fuel (IsoPro) and food would be necessary; I would plan on shipping my basic gear, assuming the air fees are outlandish.

Thanks much, so far, and looking forward to more info.
ggryd

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:41 pm

ggryd wrote:Man, this is great information and I'll process it all carefully. And the links, too. Already, a couple of further questions?:

1) Was told when I reserved my backcountry permit that, a) some streams and creeks would be dry; b) no campground reservation was required in Oct. True??,

that depends on what campground you are talking about. Many will be closed, some never require reservations, the ones that usually do will be first come first serve that late in the year. Do you mean backpacker campgrounds for the night before you start hiking? Those never require reservations. The campgrounds on Tioga will be shutting down by then.

Yes, many little streams dry up. I find the ones on the map that have names are generally year round. Some get very slow, but as long as there's a little water you're ok.

2) Are different permits required for the various day hikes mentioned here, from different trailheads, or will my permit from HI and returning days later work everywhere?

You don't need permits for dayhikes. Just Half Dome while the cables are up. They won't be up.

3) Coming from S. Florida, avoiding crowds is a HIGH priority. What route could this take?

any backpacking trip that does not start on the Mist trail gets you away from crowds within a couple miles of the trailhead. Mist trail takes another couple miles beyond that to lose the roving tourists. That late in the year, there will be fewer of those to begin with.

4) Obtaining fuel (IsoPro) and food would be necessary; I would plan on shipping my basic gear, assuming the air fees are outlandish.

Get food in stores after you get off the plane. Get fuel anywhere you can, most outdoor stores and some walmarts have the canisters. There is a gear store in Oakhurst. There is an REI, Herb Bauer (local owned), Sport Authority, and some other spots here in Fresno that carry MSR and snow peak fuel. Both will work with any stove with a lindal valve.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking