Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

How much time to allow to hike Mariposa Grove?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

How much time to allow to hike Mariposa Grove?

Postby mquest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:06 am

I'm driving to Yosemite midweek and will arrive near Mariposa grove in the afternoon. Assuming it's not too crazy busy, I'm wondering how much time I should espect to spend there before continuing on to our hotel in the valley. I don't need to use the tram. It may not be running in October when we arrive. I'd like to see both the lower and upper parts of the grove. How much time should I dedicate to this? To hike from the parking lot through both the lower and upper groves, how many miles is this?
Thanks
mquest
First-timer
First-timer

Postby bill-e-g » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:27 am

Info here:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/u ... ahikes.pdf

Allocate a good 4 hours. Personally I've only been to the grove once
and we took a good 3 hours just enjoying the grove and hiking
to the Museum and back. It's anything but flat.

Lots of interesting trees (see that map... try to see them all)

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:30 am

bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Erich1B » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:52 am

When my wife and I went this past June, we took our time and we spent about 4 hours total.
Erich1B
Regular
Regular

Postby Wawona1 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:41 am

I've been there at least 10 times just this year. Depending how good of a hiker you are, 4 hours is not an overstatement. But if you are a power hiker, you can get from the parking lot to up top, to back down in under 3 hours, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's a beautiful grove, take your time. If you are going to visit the upper grove, check out the telescope tree, and try to hike the little extra to Wawona Point..beautiful view that few folks check out.
Wawona1
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:40 am

If the tram is operating, one option is to ride it to the top and hike down.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Call

Postby BackpackerBC » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:55 pm

I have found that folks a the backcountry office are very helpful and friendly as well as knowledgeable about the various hikes within the park.

They know it better than almost anyone else and sometimes you can give them a call to ask any question you want, whether it's about water supply, trail difficulty, permitting, or anything really.

They've always seemd very willing to help and sometimes they know more than what you can ever find in a brochure or on the web.

Sometimes it's hard to get through though because of a busy line, but just keep trying!
[/img]
"Hunger, thirst, cold, fatigue, your own physical and mental limitations, you will feel all of these. This teaches you about nature, more than that, you come face to face with yourself. "
-Willi Unsoeld
BackpackerBC

Postby baseline bum » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:25 pm

I have done it twice, and took about 5 hours each time (but I'm not a particularly fast hiker).
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking