Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Wilderness Camping with kids

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Wilderness Camping with kids

Postby okavango » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:09 pm

Hi - we'd be massively appreciative of advice,

We're South Africans with kids 7 & 8 and unaccustomed to camping near other people.

We're coming up to Yosemite in the next month. What we're looking for is a hike-in pure wilderness experience campsite as follows:

[1] Totally self sufficient (i.e. we'll carry in all food etc)
[2] Near river.
[3] Away from people.
[4] Hike-in up to 3 miles.
[5] Fires allowed if possible (i.e. fire pits)
[6] Possibly fishing.

Any suggestions?
okavango

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:50 pm

If you truly want to only go 3 miles and be away from people, Yosemite may not be the place you want to go. There may be a lot fewer people in September/October but there will still be quite a few visitors to the park.

It will be cold, and most services in the park will be shut down. In mid-October you will not be able to park overnight on Tioga Pass, so a short backpacking trip will probably need to start out of the valley or another location such as Hetch Hetchy. That late in the season winter weather starts to show up, and while it is unlikely to dump several feet of snow, there is a pretty good chance of at least a few inches of rain and snow, so you will need to be prepared for storms and below freezing temperatures. Another consideration may be the chain requirement - snow chains or cables are required around the time snowfall is likely, and I'm not aware of any rental cars that will let you use them.

Most hike-in camping spots starting in Yosemite Valley will require you to hike uphill (steeply in most cases) and more than four miles on your first day. Camping along the rivers tends to mean you need to be four miles from the trailhead. Fires are only allowed below 9600 feet in elevation. Fishing in the Merced is catch and release only in a major part of the river. You will want to look up California fishing licenses and regulations before going to the park so you have the correct lures and know whether your destination will allow you to keep the fish you catch or you will have to fish with barbless lures and release the fish.

Have a look at the yosemite website on wilderness camping/backpacking - http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/backpacking.htm - and read about the various trailheads and the regulations for food storage and wilderness camping. You will need to fit all your food and trash and any items that have a smell to it (toothpaste, soap, any cream or powder, anything with a scent) inside bear canisters.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby okavango » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:50 am

ouch - ok, thanks - that's extremely useful feedback.
okavango

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:33 pm

No problem. :)

It's likely that it will not actually snow in October... but being that you are from so far away, I thought you should know what the park staff will be warning you about. I have been there in November in the Valley and camped in the very cold - the crowds are at an all time low, and it's a great time to walk around in the Valley when you do not want to feel crowded on all sides (just a scattering of visitors around, not shoulder to shoulder like it is in July). Even if you did not backpack it would be worth your while. You could get a campsite pretty easily and dayhike some of the popular trails without being elbow to elbow with the busloads of tourists that come in summer.

There are also a ton of places to go in California that aren't going to be heading into winter, too. I start hiking on the coast when the serious snow flies in the mountains. Winter is the best time to go places like Point Reyes, another extremely busy but extremely beautiful national treasure. It gets a little windy (it's the coast) but the fog decreases and you can see the coastline and the ocean. Temps will drop into the high 30s (F) at night sometimes, but there are elk to see, waterfalls, beaches to walk, and some backpacking and overnight camping. Not a wilderness per se but full of birds and other wildlife.

I hope you go to Yosemite anyway, even if you don't want to backpack out with a chance of cold... You may not be alone but you will find the beauty is worth it.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Just north of Yosemite in the Emigrant wilderness you could find everything you've asked for along the Clark Fork. Permits are free.

Check the USFS Stanislaus National Forest for more information...

Or check out the 5 GREAT STARTER HIKES section of our website, under "Destinations"

http://sites.google.com/site/backpackth ... rter-hikes
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking