Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Glen Aulin Late September

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby ncalcamper » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:10 pm

Hi, I'm thinking about taking my 9-year old son to Glen Aulin for an overnighter the last weekend in September. It's my first time doing a Yosemite backpack trip so a little confused about the permits and where I'm allowed to stay given we will only be doing an overnighter. I believe the Sierra Camp is closed - so looking for camp suggestions. We'll have a bear canister so don't need to stay near bear boxes. Actually would prefer to be off the bear-beaten path!

We'll come up on Friday night, camp at the backpacker camp, I guess. Also, any advise on weather would be greatly appreciated. Sorry it's so much!
ncalcamper

Postby hotrod4x5 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:04 pm

When I went to Glen Aulin in late Sept, the High Sierra Camp was closed. Our permit was for Glen Aulin pass through, we were supposed to camp somewhere near Waterwheel Falls. My companion was pretty slow so we barely got across the bridge and into Glen Aulin as the light was fading. We walked into the campground and someone called to me, there's a free site over there. So we set up camp. I know we weren't supposed to, based on our permit, but it all worked out fine.

At any rate, yes, you'll need a permit. If I was you, I'd ask about the back packer campground near the HSC.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Designated Camping at Glen Aulin

Postby ncalcamper » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Hi,thought I'd clarify. I assume I am limited to the Glen Aulin (not the pass-through) since I'm doing only one night. Am I required to camp at the trail camp?
ncalcamper

Postby hotrod4x5 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:38 pm

We only did one night and were issued the pass through permit. Most people can easily make it to Waterwheel and back as an overnighter.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ncalcamper » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:18 pm

I'm not worried about there since it's downhill going, it's back I'm worried about! Mostly for my son - and his limit is around six miles, especially if it's a climb. Thanks for the replies.
ncalcamper

Postby bill-e-g » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:08 am

It's fairly simple.

If you get "Glen Aulin" Permit then you have to camp in the bp camp
right by the High Sierra Camp.

If you get a "Passthru" permit then you have to hike BEYOND
... either into Cold Canyon or into Glen Aulin proper.

It depends what you like... but from what you said you wan the
passthru permit and you want to camp before dropping below
California Falls. Glen Aulin proper is pretty big.. and you
should have no trouble finding a spot you enjoy there.
We usually fill up a 2 litre or so water jug and hike up
a ways away from the river.
(i.e. #53 here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.ch ... GCTuolumne )

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:11 am

Few other things...

Glen Aulin proper vs. Glen Aulin HSC/bp campground as far
as climb is pretty much a wash. Don't base your decision on that.

Late Sept. be prepared for cold. 20 degree bag is what I'd recommend.

You can get whatever permit you want for an overnight.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking