Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Tuolumne Backpackers Campground - Late Sept

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Tuolumne Backpackers Campground - Late Sept

Postby johnstream » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:15 am

We're heading on a northbound loop up Cold Canyon and down Rogers. I know Tuolumne Campground will be closed, but what are the chances of ditching our car at the lot at Lembert and picking a spot inside the campground? Will the rangers throw us out?

I'd rather not get a site down the road at Porcupine. I'd prefer to be as close to the TH as possible.

What are your thoughts?
johnstream
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:31 am

I don't know what to think since I never tried to camp in a closed campground. Don't think I ever would - I am the one who sees a backcountry ranger every time I am in the park and gets asked all the time if I have a bear canister, etc. If there is someone who is most likely to get caught breaking rules it will be me...

Porcupine isn't your only option, you know. There's campgrounds at Tioga and Ellery Lakes, just outside the gate. It's a shorter drive.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Tuolumne Backpackers Campground - Late Sept

Postby dan » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:14 am

The Tuolumne Meadows campground is usually open through the last weekend in September. Checking the website,
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/nrcamping.htm
shows it open until Mon. Sept. 27th this year.
I've been at the TM campground the last weekend it was open. Even the TM store and grill were open (no guarantees for you though, haven't checked this year's status for the store/grill).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

backcountry permit

Postby RAINMAN19 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:50 am

I was under the impression that if you had a backcountry permit you were entitled to stay in the backpacker section. correct?
RAINMAN19
Regular
Regular

Re: backcountry permit

Postby dan » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:39 am

RAINMAN19 wrote:I was under the impression that if you had a backcountry permit you were entitled to stay in the backpacker section. correct?

Not correct. You can only stay in the backpacker section when the Tuolumne Meadows Campground is open (in summer). When the campground is closed but the road is open (in fall and late spring) you can't stay there.

You can stay there after the road closes (Winter).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: backcountry permit

Postby jeremy1701 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:08 am

RAINMAN19 wrote:I was under the impression that if you had a backcountry permit you were entitled to stay in the backpacker section. correct?

I would call the Backcountry Office. They will give you a definitive answer.
jeremy1701
Regular
Regular

Postby johnstream » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:58 pm

I called and they said maybe. it all depends on the plumbing and whether or not the water is turned off. i'm calling next week to find out for sure.
johnstream
Regular
Regular

Postby jeremy1701 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:18 am

johnstream wrote:I called and they said maybe. it all depends on the plumbing and whether or not the water is turned off. i'm calling next week to find out for sure.

Maybe?! So much for definitive!! :lol:
jeremy1701
Regular
Regular

Postby hotrod4x5 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:26 am

johnstream wrote:I called and they said maybe. it all depends on the plumbing and whether or not the water is turned off. i'm calling next week to find out for sure.
Maybe what? Maybe you can camp in the closed campground?
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking