Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

trail conditions to Cathedral Lakes

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

trail conditions to Cathedral Lakes

Postby hikerlinda » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:20 am

I am thinking of taking one more last trip out to Cathedral lakes, overnight hopefully, so hoping to get some last minute report on trail conditions. Anyone been out there in the last couple of days? Or even Glen Aulin. Suggestions? Just got to get one more backpack trip in before the snow.

Thanks in advance for any help.
hikerlinda

Re: trail conditions to Cathedral Lakes

Postby hotrod4x5 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:15 am

hikerlinda wrote:I am thinking of taking one more last trip out to Cathedral lakes, overnight hopefully, so hoping to get some last minute report on trail conditions. Anyone been out there in the last couple of days? Or even Glen Aulin. Suggestions? Just got to get one more backpack trip in before the snow.

Thanks in advance for any help.
You better hurry. Overnight parking on Tioga will be closed on Oct 15th.
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:12 pm

The pass was closed recently, probably reopened again if it hasn't already... but there's already been snow in the area. You might call ahead and check with a live person at the park before doing all the driving.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Cathedral Lakes

Postby KC » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:16 pm

Wasn't in Yosemite, but was doing some hiking up near Tahoe this last weekend. Definitely some snow above 8500', though coverage is hardly complete. I can imagine it's similar in some of the higher elevation locations in Yosemite (Vogelsang maybe), but I'm betting anything around 8000' and under is clear.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:21 pm

Backpackers coming down the Mist Trail today were reporting a foot of snow fell on them... one group had been out for a week, most of the rest for a few days.

It's best to be prepared for anything in October. :wink:
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby gkam2 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:56 pm

Im interested in the conditions as well. I was going to be heading up to Cathedral Peak this Friday the 15th. I wasn't planning on much snow because of the weather reports for this week. Is there going to be snow up above 8500'?
gkam2
Regular
Regular

Snow Cover

Postby KC » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:30 pm

As noted, my information comes from hiking up near Tahoe last weekend. There was definitely some snow cover at the higher elevations, but none I experienced at 8500' and below. So, I expect the park will be clear at elevations around 8000', and probably only spotty snow cover in certain areas up to 9000'. Above that, from what I saw in Tahoe, all bets are off. Snow cover is likely pretty decent in some areas (Red Peak Pass, etc.), spotty in others.

Just go prepared.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby gkam2 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:52 pm

Just did my Cathedral Peak hike today.

First thoughts were it was pretty cold in the mornings. It took a little hiking to get up to a good temperature. My second thoughts were that it was surprisingly vacant. I didn't see my first person until we were near the peak.

There was a little bit of snow and ice on the rocks but nothing major or anything that would cause a problem at all.

Beautiful Yosemite day, very clear. Had a good hike. Probably last one of the season.

Cheers
gkam2
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking