Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

weighty Issues

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

weighty Issues

Postby balzaccom » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:03 am

From my blog:

If you've read this blog much, you know that we spend a fair amount of time trying to pack light. Lighter packs mean happier hikers in our book, and we definitely enjoy the benefits of leaving heavy items at home. On a recent 8 day trip, our packs weighed a total of about 58 pounds---that's for TWO people. P carried about 35, and M another 23. And the good news is that each day they got even lighter!

But we have a bit of an ethical dilemma. We use a very light (3ml) ground cloth under our tent as a vapor barrier. It keeps the tent drier, and also keeps it a lot cleaner. And usually it lasts for a season or so before the holes get large enough that we trade it in on a new one.

But that means we throw out the old one---and that isn't exactly sustainable hiking. Leave no trace? Every year we leave a sheet of 3ml plastic in our garbage can at home. And we're not happy about it. SO this year we are looking at a slightly heavier ground cover--one that would last for more than one season. Maybe forever? That would be perfect. But it will weigh a bit more. hmmm.

Anyone else fighting these battles out there?
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:48 pm

I haven't thought of the leave no trace past the trailhead. That brings up a lot more to think of before a trip. I guess the only things that I use that leave waste are fuel canisters, which are recycled, and my meal wrappers/containers/bags, which just get trashed.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Pack Weights

Postby KC » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Not sure what to say about the plastic sheets, but sure am impressed by the 8 day pack weights. I'm down to less than 30 pounds for a three day trip and about 35 for a week. It's getting harder and harder for me to trim now, but I'm working on it.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby oakroscoe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:32 am

I'm very impressed on your guys' pack weights.

You're definitely not the only one that carries the 3M ground cloth. However, would putting it in the recycle bin instead of the trash bin ease your conscience?

I'm with Wickett, I never really cared past the trailhead, when it came to leave no trace...
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Clamper » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:33 pm

I used an ordinary blue tarp, the generic basic with grommet holes.

I have no idea how it compares with any 'high-tech' options regarding weight or bulk, but it held up well for 20+ years of typical backcountry use, plus inumerable car camping and E Clampus Vitus buffoon fests.

Sadly though, I laid it to rest before last season. I expect its replacement to last to the end of my final trail.
Clamper

Postby balzaccom » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:06 pm

So where are you a Clamper? I've always heard of the organization...never knew a member!
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby oakroscoe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Clamper and myself are both members of E Clampus Vitus chapter 13 Joaquin Murrieta. It's territory is in the Bay Area, mostly concord/pleasant hill/Antioch area.

I never thought you were going to get another tarp. You're moving up in the world.

And yes, Clamper has been using the same old school external frame pack since the 80s, and he probably will for another 20 years.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:35 pm

Is there a Clamper Chapter up in Napa COunty? How do i get involved?
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby oakroscoe » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:04 am

Yes there is a Napa chapter, it is Sam Brannan #1004. The wikipedia page is actually fairly accurate on the history of ECV:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Clampus_Vitus

To become involved, first you have to become a member. As an initiate you will be called a Poor Blind Candidate or PBC for short. Once in, you're in it for life.

Here's a link to the Sam Brannan Chapter's website:
http://www.clamper.com/index.html Their spring function is April 15-17.

Here's a list of the guys in charge of that chapter:
http://www.clamper.com/bod10.html
Feel free to give any of them an email...
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking