Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

valley hikes in the snow

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

valley hikes in the snow

Postby ryanmj » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:27 pm

Ive never been to Yosemite in the snow but will be trying to make a trip up there at the end of JAN beginning of FEB. Anyone have any suggestions for day hikes from the valley, Ill probably only be able to get one hike in. Thinking snow falls, muir trail to vernal, S-point or possibly the H-falls.
ryanmj
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:59 am

It all depends on the snowppwhich will vary quite a bit from year to year and week to week. The valley itself may or may not have a lot of snow, but the snow will start as you start climbing. And the higher you get, the more snow there will be. And I am pretty sure that the mist trail is closed because of the ice that forms there.

One you might try is Yosemite falls....because that is more exposed to the south, it gets more sun. So if there are a few days of slightly warmer weather, this trail clears sooner than some of the others. And the view towards Half Dome about halfway up is really good.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hotrod4x5 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:08 am

The Mist Trail between the Vernal Bridge and top of Vernal is closed due to rockslide danger, but you can get to the top of Vernal via the John Muir trail. Once at the top of Vernal, you can rejoin the Mist Trail to the top of Nevada Fall.

Yosemite Falls is always a nice goal, I have yet to do it in winter, but hope to in a February. I'll most likely carry snowshoes so I can go further once up there, perhaps Eagle Peak.

What kind of hike to suggest to you depends on how you are equipped, and more importantly your level of fitness.

Tell us what you have done in the past and what you are used to?
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ryanmj » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:46 pm

Ive never hiked on the snow but in the summer ive done clouds rest in a day and also gone up snow falls to north dome and down yosemite falls in a day. I wont have snowshoes and prefer more secluded trails. I was considering hidden falls but if that ledge before the falls is iced over it wouldnt be good. Is there a shuttle to glacier point? maybe the panoramic trail would be good.
ryanmj
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby QITNL » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:58 pm

Suggestions would also depend upon how much snow you'll encounter. Usually anything above the rim will be a lot easier in snowshoes.

The road to Glacier Point is closed at Badger Pass and the Panoramic Trail will be covered.

The Snow Creek trail will have a decent boot path pounded out by skiers descending to the Valley.

For Sierra Point, the difficulty is the initial section of talus. No snow or a lot of snow, no problem - but anything in between, mind your ankles.
QITNL
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby hikerdmb » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:21 am

This is my first post. I have been to Yosemite many times during the winter and our favorite hike in the valley, no climbing at all so snow is not a problem most of the time, is a loop hike we call the west side loop. Don't know if that is the real name. We have done this hike the last two years and have seen less than 10 other hikers total on both of these hikes. We start somewhere near Lower Yosemite Falls trail and head west past Camp 4. Then the trail crosses the Northside road and the next few miles the trail follows the river. When we reach the El Capitan bridge we cross to the south, cross the Southside Road and then follow the trail back east toward the valley. In this direction the trail stays south of the road and is a little above the valley so you get some great views. This is a great hike! You will not be dissappointed in the scenery and you will be amazed at the lack of other hikers. A couple of years ago we did this hike when the Northside road was closed and we did not see another person for a couple of hours. That was amazing. If you want a little more adventure then I highly suggest you go to Badger Pass and ski or snowshoe out from there.
hikerdmb
hikerdmb
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking