Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

What toys do you carry?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

What toys do you carry?

Postby oakroscoe » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:18 am

So what extra weight is in your pack that you don't really need, but you want to have and you're not willing to part with?

For me, its three things: an ipod, a good book and an aquafina bottle filled with the finest of bourbon, or whatever the last liquor store on hwy 120 has. I know these items are not essential (although I might argue that the booze is), but I'm not willing to take them out of my pack. There's something reassuring about knowing that if it rains and I'm stuck in the tent for 2 days straight, at least I have every episode of Seinfeld on my ipod. Its only 5 ounces right? Its got to be worth its weight!

This actually raises a question for me, that I'm hoping someone here can answer: do you have a kindle and if so are you happy with it? I'm debating picking one up before the upcoming season. At 8.5 ounces it has got to be lighter than the average paperback book, although it wouldn't help in starting a fire and there's a dearth of free books out there for it. Battery life shouldn't be an issue since its supposed to be good for 3 weeks. So do any backpackers out there have some experience with it? Thanks
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:50 am

Great question...

I carry my flyfishing equipment--about 2 pounds total--for a rod, reel and a few odds and ends. And my wife carries a bood or two. That's about it for us. On short trips we might take a bottle of wine ( decanted into something plastic ) but on longer trips we avoid that weight.

And I am considering buying my wife a kindle---for exactly the reasons you suggest. I'll be interested in hearing from anyone who had used one in the mountains!
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:05 am

I go with Captain Morgan, a hacky sack, and my nook. The nook is Barnes & Nobel's version of the Kindle. I like it a lot, from my anchor building books to John Muir's Yosemite, all at my fingertips.

When it's raining I don't huddle in my tent though. Rain makes everything seem somehow new and there are fewer people out. ☺
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:08 am

I used to take books... never stopped to read them, too busy taking pictures, fishing, etc. Stopped taking them.

Sometimes I take a little libation, depends on the company I have and how long I'm out.

Sometimes I take camp shoes.

I guess fishing gear isn't absolutely necessary, but I'll take it on slower trips, gives my arms some exercise and a little extra for dinner if I can build a fire, otherwise it's catch and release for me.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:13 am

Oh yeah, the camera always comes along. I forget to pull it out until it is too late most of the time. I have been forcing myself to use it more to justify the weight lately.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave Miller » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:09 pm

Great topic. I have to have my iPod nano with an audiobook or two loaded. I also always carry camp shoes/water shoes. However, the most indulgent thing I bring is my camera gear. Usually between 8-12 pounds depending on what lenses and tripod I bring. It's usually worth the effort though!
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

What I Bring

Postby KC » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:26 am

I usually take a book and a few maps to peruse (a 7.5 plus whatever larger map I either print or have purchased). Depending on how light I am going, I'll also take some whiskey too.

When I am on solo trips, sometimes I do wish I had an iPod, Kindle, or some other electronic gizmo to occupy the time in the tent at night before I go to sleep. Wouldn't mind having a variety of books to listen to or read.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby goingyard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:22 pm

I take a bottle of booze, more times than not it is vodka and some tang. Mix with cold river water and you have a screwdriver. I also take an ipod and a single small speaker and my camera equipment. I always taking the camera equipment because it is a little heavy but when we are home and I am looking at the pictures I am so glad that i took it.
goingyard
Regular
Regular

Postby oakroscoe » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:08 am

Well, I've talked to enough people out there that have a Kindle and are happy with it, so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get one before the next season starts up. For under 9 ounces, I think its worth it.

Oh and goingyard, I used to do that with crystal light lemonaide packets and vodka. That was a nice after dinner treat. Now I just stick to whiskey that I don't have to mix with anything.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:00 am

Check out the nook too. I did some research and liked the nook better. No keys to get dirty or let water in. It has a color touchscreen at the bottom and it can surf the internet via a FREE 3G connection, if you get that version. I like it because I can be anywhere and grab a book, I get 3G all the way back to Bunnel Cascade.

Don't go with the color nook, it's just an ipad style gizmo, no e-ink...
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Clamper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:04 pm

The aforementioned booze and music.

Plus a chair. Yes a chair! One of those foldable aluminum with web mesh jobbies that aren't made any more. IMO, a vert high weight/comfort ration. Just about any mostly flat-is spot instantly becomes the most best spot on earth.

During the day, I can hang out for hours in the primo view spot, or stay at the center of the camp's best shade.

At night, I can adjust within an inch of the sweet spot of the campfire's warmth.

Then drink some whisky and pop in the ear buds...

Ahh, heaven!
Clamper

Postby Flipside » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:13 am

I carry paintbrush to capture beautiful scenic beauties, when i can. I do take camera aswell but still i like to do quick paintings bit silly and i always get late because of it but still its me. I carry walkie talkie as well. Found really nice through Testfreaks :)
Flipside
First-timer
First-timer

Postby balzaccom » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:36 am

I take fishing gear, about 20 ounces. And a small pair of binoculars. And my wife takes a book or two--paperback!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Gear

Postby KC » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:49 am

It sounds like a Kindle is a pretty good investment. Oakroscoe, did you purchase one? I think I'd rather carry an 8 oz Kindle and have more reading material at night than an 8 oz book and no other reading material.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby LVRAY » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:20 pm

I take my wife (and she takes me) - we provide all the entertainment either could want :D
LVRAY
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Next

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking