Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Keeping, or getting, fit?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Keeping, or getting, fit?

Postby balzaccom » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:47 pm

This time of year, we spend a lot of time thinking about summer, and the trips we'll take. But we also try to stay in shape, despite the obvious temptations of holiday food and drink. Those temptations are even stronger in our house, since M is a chef and P works in the wine business. You can imagine how that works. Well, maybe you can't.

But we do spend some time getting fit, or trying to maintain our conditioning. M goes to the gym three or four times a week, for a variety of workout classes. That seems to work pretty well for her, especially when she adds an evening walk to the mix.

P is a litte more hard-core. He loves to ride his road bike--and will do that over 5,000 miles every year. This year he did over 6500. That means lots of rides longer than two hours--and quite a few over 50 miles. His cardio seems pretty darn good these days.

We seems to notice a difference once we hit the trail. M starts out strong, but seems to lose steam after an hour. P, maybe because of his longer workouts, seems to be able to keep up the pace much longer...maybe because he's used to those long bike rides?

But we're curious. Do you do any endurance training or similar sports? How much, and how long? Jogging or swimming fit the bill...are we missing some others? And how do you think that affects your backpacking?
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Staying Fit

Postby SteveH » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:01 am

Good topic for this time of year. I also do Triathlons [very slowly] so I find that level of aerobic fitness helps greatly in backpacking. In an ideal week I will: MON swim and run; TUE Bike and lift weights; WED swim and run; THU Bike and lift; FRI Long swim and long run; SAT Long Bike; SUN rest. Doesn't always work out the way I'd planned but now that I am fully retired retired I should have more time for fitness and recreation. Lifting is almost all upper body and biking is mostly done on my road bike (Orbea) for training and when racing I switch over to my tribike setup (Softride).
/r
SteveH
SteveH
Regular
Regular

Postby Wickett » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:21 am

I don't do anything special besides going to the rock climbing gym. The first mile of trail is usually painful for me, then my body remembers how to backpack and I can go all day with a full load. I once did from the Valley to Merced lake with a 70 lb pack. I was carrying gear for two people. The second set of switchbacks in Echo canyon were painful, especially since I started the day in Sacramento at sea level essentially.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:10 pm

SteveH, you are a better man than I am! I just don't seem to be able to get up for triathlon...although the fact that I hate jogging may have something to do with that!

Of course a lot of this has to do with pace on the trail. I agree--the first mile helps me get back into the right frame of mind, and right pace. After that, things seem to get better.

Still, a good cardio foundation makes a big difference once you hit the trail.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

This time of year

Postby KC » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:45 pm

I tend to slow down quite a bit over the holiday season, but usually pick up my workouts in January-February. Typically it's bike riding and stair walking, with day hikes on the weekends. Since my wife and I just had a baby though, my get-started-after-the-holidays process has not been as consistent this year.

I find that I can deal with altitude better if I am in better shape than not. So, for me, getting in decent condition before a trip is imperative.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby kathy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:54 pm

Interesting that M bonks after an hour. Does she eventually work through it and hit her stride? What is your typical distance? Are you talking about 10 miles in a day, or 30?

I live in NH and try to keep hiking in the winter. This winter I have not been able to...for a variety of reasons. But, ordinarily, I swim and run in the summer and work out at karate classes 3x a week. I try to keep up w/the running as long as possible once the snow flies, then switch to snowshoeing and/or back-country skiing.

When I hike, whether winter or not, I often get tired w/i a half hour. But, as we all do, I keep going. I work through it and am fine for the remainder of the hike.

Another question I have is what are you eating? Some people snack their way along, while others, myself included, keep soemthing handy and nibble occasionally. Nothing sugary b/c that will just cause a crash later.

What's for breakfast on hike day?
Life's a trip...pack accordingly.
kathy
Regular
Regular

Postby balzaccom » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:54 pm

Good questions Kathy

Actually, M bonks less if she snacks a bit while she hikes...and coffee in the morning also makes a big difference...with caffeine, sometimes she makes it hard for me to keep up!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking