Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Water sources on the route to Dewey Point

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Water sources on the route to Dewey Point

Postby Dave Miller » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:00 am

I'm planning on taking a group of boys (12-16 yr olds) on their first Winter Backpacking trip and am looking at the Dewey Point area. My current plan is to find a camp area near the meadow just off of Glacier Point Road near Trail 18. My recollection of that area is there would be a number of places off the trail that would make a good first camp to give the boys a little taste of getting out there without having to do a longer haul in (I'll be taking them on a day hike out to Dewey Point).

I see some water sources on the topo map around the northern part of the meadow and wondering if there is any chance they would be running in mid March and not frozen up? I'd rather not kill fuel by melting snow, but will do so if I have to.

I'm heading out there in next month to scout the area, but thought I'd check with the vast knowledge base here before I do.

Thanks!
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Re: Water sources on the route to Dewey Point

Postby dan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:30 am

If you head out the road (or the old road for that matter) from Badger Pass ski area to Summit Meadow (east or far end), head out left (north) on the ski trail to Dewey Point. Along the ski trail (#18) is an open meadow with a creek running down the middle. Almost always there is open water somewhere along the way, or if not, it's just a easy punch through to the water.

Here's a map, which you may have of the Badger Pass/Glacier Point area:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/l ... eID=134994
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave Miller » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:03 am

Thanks Dan for the information on the creek, that was what I was hoping for. I just don't recall the creek, last time I was up that way.

I'm thinking that meadow area will work out nicely for a winter basecamp for the boys. Depending on the snow level and conditions, we are going to try to get a snow cave or two made and maybe even an igloo. Of course, if we don't get much more snow this winter, then we may working on other things.

Thanks again for the help!
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking