Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Volgesang loop

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Volgesang loop

Postby amigo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:43 am

Hi.

I'm planning to be in Yosemite in August and was wondering if the Volgesang/Lyell Canyon loop is reasonable for a 2-day backpack? I know one would appreciate it with more time, but I won't have more time. Is Evelyn Lake a good half-way point for overnight camping? Which direction is easier? clockwise or counter-clockwise? Not sure how long this loop is.

Same with Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest and up Half Dome then to Happy Isles - ok with 2 days?

Thanks.
amigo
Regular
Regular

Yes

Postby KC » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:44 am

Great weekend loop, no doubt about it. I was encouraging someone to try it in another thread. It's about 20 miles total and there are a few nice options to put down before you get near Vogelsang HSC if you're coming from Lyell Canyon.

All that being said, if you have any elevation issues (like me sometimes), you may just want to make it a two night trip and put down in Lyell Canyon the first day. The Ireland Creek trail junction is about 5 miles in and there are plenty of camping spots near it. It's uphill a couple thousand feet from there. You're going uphill the other direction too, but you can't put down anywhere until you get near Vogelsang HSC. That said, each direction has its ups and downs, but both are great.

You could also look at other options too. The Tenaya Lake-Cloud's Rest-Half Dome option is going to be a lot more crowded, permits maybe more difficult to get . I'd take a look at the map, develop a couple plans, be flexible, and go from there.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Volgesang loop

Postby cjoz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:16 pm

amigo wrote:Hi.

I'm planning to be in Yosemite in August and was wondering if the Volgesang/Lyell Canyon loop is reasonable for a 2-day backpack?

Same with Tenaya Lake to Clouds Rest and up Half Dome then to Happy Isles - ok with 2 days?

Assuming 2 days and 1 night...

Logistically, Vogelsang loop would be easier b/c you can return to your car. Agree with other poster you might want to camp in Lyell on night 1 if you're driving out and hiking same day...else you'll be sleeping at 10k+ ft. As to HD permits, backpackers don't have to worry so much about trying to score HD permits in advance, you can pick one up w/ your wilderness permit.

The Tenaya/Clouds Rest/Half Dome/Happy Isles might be difficult to swing in 2 days. All depends on when you'll arrive in Yose. and when you need to depart. You'll need to figure out how you'll get to the TH (and back to your car) based on the shuttle schedules unless you've got 2 cars.

Assuming you're driving in and packing on same day, then your best bet is probably to park at the TH and shuttle back.

If you leave car in valley and take the hikers shuttle up to TH, you would have to catch the shuttle at 8am and won't arrive at Tenaya Lake (Sunrise TH) until 10am, which means the climb up CR will be roasty, and forget about hitting HD in the same day. Will be too crowded.

If you leave your car at the TH, you can climb over CR on day one and camp around the CR/JMT junction at a reasonable elevation. Then do Half Dome early the next morning before the crowds climb up from HI. That should give you plenty of time to saunter down to the valley and catch the evening YARTS (around 5pm) in the valley. My guess is you'd hit your car around 6:30pm. They do unscheduled stops on demand but you should verify w/ them directly about schedules and operating dates b/c if you miss it or they're not running, you're stuck overnight.
cjoz
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:32 pm

It depends entirely on the people doing the hiking. If you are okay with the miles AND the elevation, and are reasonably fit and keep the packweight down, either is do-able. But I've had people who found an 8 mile out and back into Lyell Canyon (hardly any elevation change) a difficult walk.

Teneya to Clouds to Half Dome to Happy Isles is a lot of elevation gain and loss. Some people find the steps going down the mist trail a pain in the knees. Others prefer that to the semi-paved trip hazards of the JMT switchbacks from Nevada to Vernal. If you are looking for a wilderness experience the Vogelsang loop will more closely meet your expectations; while you will not be alone and may have difficulty with permitting, the second option includes places that will get a ton of trail traffic. Coming down the Mist Trail in summer is like walking in a mall.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking