Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

2-night Trip in mid April, Advise?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby balzaccom » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Correct---no fishing in the reservoir, only the streams that feed into it. Sorry that my earlier post was confusing. And the streams only after the last Saturday in April, as I recall.

OF course, it's all very amusing to protect it from fishing. The last time we were there we were told that we just missed seeing a bear swim across the dam face and wander off up the hill towards Lake Vernon. You've got to wonder just how clean that bear would be....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:08 pm

As for the original goal...

If you are going to Yosemite in April, you will find snow above about 5500 feet or so. And that's most of the park. Sorry. That's why most of us do most of our backpacking in the summer, between June and October. Any other time, and you need to be prepared for snow.

That's why we recommended the Hite Cove trail...or something in the coast range, which will have no granite. Sorry.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby KC » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:18 pm

As I mentioned above, there are places other than Yosemite that are great to check out this time of year where snow is not a big issue and you won't get yourself in a potentially bad situation. You really can't beat Henry Coe in March-April. You have tons of trails to choose from, plenty of water, spectacular views from the top of the Diablo Range, and plenty of solitude. You also get a great workout.

The Ohlone Wilderness trail near Lake Del Valle and Sunol is also a great weekender as is Point Reyes. There's also Skyline to the Sea and associated trails near Big Basin. You'll definitely be sharing the trail there with other folks, but you'll get your big trees and forest. Heck, you can even do a one or two night escape to Red Hills just outside of China Camp. Plenty of water there this time of year and you'll get some nice views of Don Pedro.

I really would extend my options if I were you. You are going to be limited by snow and high water in Yosemite. If you try and force a situation, you may put yourself and your friends in a bad one. Why stick to one option anyway when you have so many other good ones to choose from this time of year?
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:32 am

The problem is, snow is snow, until it's water, and you're planning too high too early in the year. It's a problem we who are not winter campers share with you. I suspect the Trinity Alps and any other mountain range above 5,000 feet will have similar issues. Heck, last month, the coastal ranges got snow at 2,000 - 3,000 feet! it's all melted away now tho.

The only thing I can suggest is to look at places that are not high elevation and full of granite. Like some of southern Golden Trout Wilderness. If you try for Big Basin definitely call first - the trail camps closed this winter and I don't believe they open til May.

The problem you'll run into in lower elevations is that it's a patchwork of private property - cattle ranches, homes, resorts, etc. You'll find some wilderness areas, but fewer and father between.

If you actually want backpacking without snow? You need to give up the granite. Sorry. Not a thing we can do to help you there.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking