Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Echo Creek

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Echo Creek

Postby bbmq » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:35 pm

I previously posted about the steepness of hiking down from Clouds Rest to Sunrise Creek and I'm told it won't be excessively tough on the knees. So far the hike is Cathedral Lakes Trailhead>Sunrise Lakes>Clouds Rest>Sunrise Creek>Half Dome. Now I want to loop back to CLT.

Is Echo Creek a better option than the JMT? I remember JMT as not having great camping options, the one excellent campsite I know of is no longer legal as it's right next to the trail. I have never been on EC and don't know if there are decent camping options there, or if you have to go over to Echo Valley.

I'll be heading up to Half Dome early on the 3rd morning and will come back to pick up my pack and move on around mid-day. Does anybody have any recommendations after that, JMT or EC?

Thanks in advance.
bbmq
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby QITNL » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Echo Creek might make a nice loop. I seem to recall a number of places you can camp along the way, there are some nice spots near one of the bridges.

I don't know if it fits into your game plan or you are comfortable hiking off-trail, but rather than going from Cloud's Rest down to Sunrise Creek and then back up to Half Dome (kinda boring), there's a shortcut traversing over the Quarter Domes on the edge of Tenaya Canyon (less up & down and totally awesome). Water might be an issue, but if it rains you can pump from the little pools that collect on top of the Quarter Domes. There are a few nice campsites along the way.

That would give you a real early start on Half Dome if you want to beat the crowds, or wait until the afternoon thunderstorms wash off all the ants and you'll have it all to yourself for sunset.

Here are some some shots from the traverse (I hiked up from Happy Isles, camped on the east Quarter Dome, there-and-backed to Half Dome and Clouds Rest). That should give you the picture, I can give a few more detail if you are interested. You can adjust the level of spice to suite you.

http://www.qitnl.com/v/052809/
QITNL
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby LVRAY » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:51 pm

There are a few good camping spots on the JMT between the junction with the Clouds Rest trail and Cathedral Lakes. A few we have seen or used include:
- Very good ones along the upper part Sunrise Creek before you start up the last steep pitch. There are ones along the creek and on the east side of the trail with views).
- Ones just after you top out on Sunrise which have great views to the east (there is no direct source of water here, but the meadow area is often wet early into the summer),
- There are secluded sites acroos the meadow from the HSC (besides the meadow, there is a small pond as a water source). You can even camp on the ridge above the HSC (dry).
- And near Catherdral Lakes, there is a chance for some secluded camping on the ridges above the upper lake.
LVRAY
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bbmq » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:03 am

Wow, QITNL, those are some amazing pictures, thanks for sharing. Also thanks for the heads up about the shortcut across the Quarter Domes, I could definitely appreciate a more interesting way of getting over to Half Dome.

I am concerned about water though, especially since this is a trip I'm probably going to do in early September when rain is pretty scarce. I'm not hardy enough to take my chances with water so am looking for sure things in that regard.

Right now I'm probably going to start at Cathedral Lakes TH and spend the night at one of the Sunrise Lakes. Then I'll head to Clouds Rest and down CR Trail to Sunrise Creek. I'll do Half Dome early in the morning and then I think I'll head to Echo Creek Trail and look for a site near the bridges. I may then spend a night at one of the Cathedral Lakes.

Thanks also, LVRAY, for your camping suggestions as well as input on previous occasions.
bbmq
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking