Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mid June Too Early for GCT in 2011?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Mid June Too Early for GCT in 2011?

Postby Mr. Beeks » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:25 am

Can anyone help me determine the wisdom of planning a trip from White Wolf to TM via GCT between June 16th-June 19th this year? Many Thanks.
Mr. Beeks

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:06 pm

First thing: will Tioga Road be open? Maybe. If so - will the snow levels be such that you are comfortable hiking through some of it? They plow the road, so even if the road is open, there will still be snow on trail, and high water levels due to snowmelt.

Second thing: will the bridges at Pate and at Return/Register creek be in good repair to make the crossings? Would be dangerous without them.

third thing: Will White Wolf the resort be open? aka, where are you going to be able to leave a car, or are you willing to walk all the way out to Tioga Rd if WW is closed, and chance being able to flag down a shuttle/bus?

Have a look at the opening date chart: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/seasonal.htm

White Wolf is typically late June openings. Tioga Rd has been known to open late in June.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby KC » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:28 pm

Lots of snow this year. Much of it late too. I would definitely make some alternative plans just in case.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Mr. Beeks » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:52 am

Appreciate the insight. Going to lock down an alternate in case my window doesn't open in time. Thanks.
Mr. Beeks

Postby oakroscoe » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Almost there is dead on. There are too many variables right now to predict what it will be like 2 months from now. Hope for your trip, but definitely have a back up plan.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:14 am

Register has no bridge.

In the typical highest run off time that you are talking... many would
be stymied at Morrison and/or Register.

There's a bunch of other spots but IMO, and no disrespect,
but since you are asking, I would recommend that you wait until
mid July or don't do a shuttle so you can just turn around
when you're not comfortable.
bill-e-g