Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Help planning 5-7 day trip in late June

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Help planning 5-7 day trip in late June

Postby ProfessorD » Wed May 11, 2011 7:38 am

I'm looking to do a 40-50ish mile loop or 1 way trip between June 20 - 27. I've been reading a lot about large amounts of snow. I'm wondering where / what trails might be an appropriate place to do this sort of trip? Also, we'd like to see a variety of terrain - meadows / cliffs / mountains / lakes. We're experienced backpackers, but don't own crampons or snowshoes (and didn't intend to acquire them, but we wouldn't mind seeing a little snow).

We also don't have wilderness permits yet. There are very few available for those dates in some of the main areas (Cathedral lakes, for example), but first-come, first serve may be an option.
ProfessorD

Postby balzaccom » Thu May 12, 2011 6:12 am

The big problem here is that Tioga Road probably won't be open by then...so your trailhead options are limited. And you can expect some significant snow at anything above 8,000. And the north side of any ridge or pass will have snow at lower elevations still.

Take out your map of Yosemite and see what that leaves you! Hetch-hetchy, which is only a couple/few days. Maybe Mono Meadows up Illilouette Canyon for a ways (that's a beatiful hike...but the best part is up by Ottoway Lakes, and they are well over 9,000 feet.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

bummer

Postby ProfessorD » Thu May 12, 2011 7:46 am

Hmmm - that's really a bummer. Is there any estimate for when the Tioga road is going to be open? At what point do the trails become passable. I realize that it's hard to project this stuff....

I saw blog with a trip to the cathedral lakes region in mid june, 2009. There was a little snow, but not much. Was that just a light year?

The other thing that's weird is that there's virtually no wilderness permits available for even mid-late june, yet if the road won't be open, it seems odd to me that those permits have all been taken.. though I guess people speculate.

Does anyone have recommendations for other trips in the area / in wilderness areas that might be at a tad lower elevation?
ProfessorD

Postby Nacci » Thu May 12, 2011 10:08 pm

I saw blog with a trip to the cathedral lakes region in mid june, 2009. There was a little snow, but not much. Was that just a light year?

In 2009 Tioga Road opened on May 19. The April 1 snowpack was 92% of normal. This year's April 1 snowpack was 178% of normal and spring has been pretty chilly; there were snow flurries in the Valley recently.
Nacci
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby KC » Thu May 12, 2011 10:32 pm

There's more snow expected in the Sierra this weekend. Crazy.

Depending on conditions, you could always try to circumnavigate the rim of the valley, going down or up the JMT and up or down Snow Creek trail to skip routes around Tenaya Canyon. The snow should be down by then, but water levels in creeks will be high.

Frankly, I'm ready for it not to snow.
KC
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Help planning 5-7 day trip in late June

Postby ProfessorD » Sun May 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Ok, suppose I can go in mid July? Recommendations?
ProfessorD

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking