Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

3-Day Trip Sunrise Lakes-Cloud's Rest - Need advice!

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

3-Day Trip Sunrise Lakes-Cloud's Rest - Need advice!

Postby ninthandjupiter » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:15 pm

Hello everyone!

I just stumbled upon this forum and have already read so many useful things so I am hoping you guys have some advice for me on our upcoming trip to Yosemite. Here is the itinerary:

Day 1 - Tenaya Lake to Sunrise Lakes (Camp at 2nd lake - which we've read is the best one?)
Day 2 - Sunrise Lakes to Cloud's Rest (Camp near Cloud's Rest)
Day 3 - Hike back from Cloud's Rest to Tenaya Lake

Does this seem like a feasible itinerary? We aren't trying to overcommit on this hike...so if it seems like a lot, please say so!

The other few things that I have questions about are about camping and weather. I have a pretty good idea of where to camp at Sunrise Lakes but I also wanted to know about if fires are permitted or if those are only permitted in the 'backpackers campgrounds?' I really am having a difficult time figuring out where those are located. Same thing for Cloud's Rest, I really cannot find good information on a place to camp. Most of the things I've read are assuming we'd continue onto Half Dome or Little Yosemite Valley but since we're turning around...does anyone have any advice on where we could camp? Is it permitted to camp on Cloud's Rest but just not all the way at the top?

And lastly, regarding weather. I've read a lot of conflicting messages, can anyone give any insight about what kind of weather we should expect and be prepared for at the end of September? Does anyone know if this area has been greatly affected by the recent fires?

Thank you all for your help! :D
ninthandjupiter
First-timer
First-timer

Re: 3-Day Trip Sunrise Lakes-Cloud's Rest - Need advice!

Postby Dave_Ayers » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:15 pm

Original poster quoted in black, my replies in blue.

... Does this seem like a feasible itinerary? ...
I can't really comment on that because you've not given any indication of your hiking ability, altitude tolerance, and experience. Generally I would not consider it a hard hike for an average experienced Sierra Nevada backpacker. But for you? I cannot say.

... I also wanted to know about if fires are permitted ...
See http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildregs.htm for Yosemite fire restrictions. No fires allowed above 9,600 feet elevation. Sunrise Lakes are under 9,600 and Cloud's Rest is over.

... 'backpackers campgrounds?' I really am having a difficult time figuring out where those are located ...
They are in Yosemite Valley, at White Wolf, and at Tuolumne Meadows. There are also camping areas near the High Sierra Camps which are called backpackers campgrounds on some of the Yosemite web pages. The nearest of those to your trip is at the Sunrise High Sierra Camp about 1.5 miles past Sunrise Lakes.

... for Cloud's Rest, I really cannot find good information on a place to camp ...
It is possible to camp on Cloud's Rest and on the northern shoulder but there is no water source so few people do so. In fact, the only water sources along your entire route at present are Tenaya Lake, Sunrise Lakes, and the small tarn about a mile south of the Sunrise/Cloud's Rest trail juction. You can camp where you can find a spot that works for you, but you'll need to carry water for the night and part of the next day if you camp anywhere but those places or the Sunrise HSC.

... can anyone give any insight about what kind of weather we should expect and be prepared for at the end of September? ...
There is some weather and other general information and links at http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm . A general rule of thumb is a drop of 3-3.5 F per 1,000 feet of elevation gain. Be aware that Cloud's Rest is an exposed knob with no protection from wind. So you may prefer to climb it early in the day when the wind tends to be calmer.

... Does anyone know if this area has been greatly affected by the recent fires? ...
No fire damage in that general area.

Also read this recent thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3224
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: 3-Day Trip Sunrise Lakes-Cloud's Rest - Need advice!

Postby Dave_Ayers » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:19 am

It's not clear when you are going, but be aware there is a fire in that area and trails are closed. See http://www.nps.gov/yose/blogs/fireinfo.htm for updates on the Meadow fire and trail closures.
Dave_Ayers
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking