Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

First time backpacking yosemite - many questions please help

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

First time backpacking yosemite - many questions please help

Postby piama » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:28 am

Hi,
my friend and I will stay in yosemite in september and we have a wilderness permit from 22.-25.09. It´s our first time in yosemite and our first time camping in a wilderness. So we have no clue about anything  I hope you can help us, sorry my englisch is not so good but I hope it´s understandable.

Questions:
1. we will drive from san francisco to yosemite. Where can we park our car during backpacking?
2. we will stay in san francisco after yosemite. Where can we leave our two big baggages during backpacking? In the car? Is that safe enough? What about our perfume, shower gel…? It isn´t allowed to leave it in the car, can we store it in a food locker, for example in curry village?
3. our entry AND exit trailhead is mirror lake. I read that we have to start at mirror lake. can we hike everywhere we want to after the first day/night at mirror lake? do we really have to end up our hike at mirror lake?
4. we also want to climb up half dome (we have a permit), hike along the merced river to the merced lake, crossing vernal fall, emerald pool and nevada fall. Is this hike possible to do in 4 days? Which trailheads can you recommend?
5. we are almost always near a lake or a river. So I think we won´t get problems to get water, will we?
6. do you know any romantic or extremely beautiful places on this trailheads where to pitch up our tent?

Any other hints and suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks in advance
Pia
piama

Re: First time backpacking yosemite - many questions please

Postby balzaccom » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:52 pm

1. we will drive from san francisco to yosemite. Where can we park our car during backpacking?

All trailheads have parking areas nearby. Make sure you leave any food in a bear box, not in your car!

2. we will stay in san francisco after yosemite. Where can we leave our two big baggages during backpacking? In the car? Is that safe enough? What about our perfume, shower gel…? It isn´t allowed to leave it in the car, can we store it in a food locker, for example in curry village?

Yes, you can leave your suitcases in your car. Yes, you should leave your smelly perfume and shampoo etc in the bear boxes at the trailhead. There are bear boxes at the trailheads.

3. our entry AND exit trailhead is mirror lake. I read that we have to start at mirror lake. can we hike everywhere we want to after the first day/night at mirror lake? do we really have to end up our hike at mirror lake?

I don't think anyone is going to really check.,...but you do need to start at Mirror Lake. But the MIrror Lake trailhead is for goig up Snow Creek trail---and you need to do this. That will take you up to the top of the North Rim of Yosemite. It's a very steep climb for a few miles. Once you get to the top, you'll have to head northeast past Mt. Watkins over to Tenaya Lake so that you can get to Half Dome...

4. we also want to climb up half dome (we have a permit), hike along the merced river to the merced lake, crossing vernal fall, emerald pool and nevada fall. Is this hike possible to do in 4 days? Which trailheads can you recommend?

If you climb up Snow Creek, you can camp near the top the first day. The second day you could hike to near the side trail to Half Dome. The third day you could hike up Half Dome, then down to the Merced. And the last day will get you out through Nevada and Vernal Falls. It's a long hike, especially days two and three...but it can be done.

5. we are almost always near a lake or a river. So I think we won´t get problems to get water, will we?

I don't think so. The Park Service (and most experts0 recommend that you either filter or treat water in the park...to avoid bacteria from horses, people and wild animals.

6. do you know any romantic or extremely beautiful places on this trailheads where to pitch up our tent?

The top of Snow Creek Falls is near the top of Mt; Watkins. You can walk out onto this granite dome. Take plenty of water. Enjoy the view. Wow.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Be aware that there is a fire near half Dome that they are fighting. They're working hard to get the trails open. Sometimes after a fire some trails are closed for an extended period due to the risk of falling burnt trees. If you are not fond of burnt areas you may want to choose a different route away from half dome.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby piama » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Thank you very much for your answers :D
piama

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking