Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Strategies for Getting a Wilderness Permit?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Strategies for Getting a Wilderness Permit?

Postby forestplay » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:59 pm

I'm planning a wilderness backpacking trip for four in July. So, far, I have FAX'd a permit application every other day since last Thursday.

I received a rejection letter on Friday for that first request but nothing since. (I realize that Monday was a holiday so they might be a bit behind).

Is this the best strategy for getting permit?

Does sending a daily request make sense? I saw they claim they will send an email of permit status within two business days.

Each permit has three options. I really want the first as it fits best with the skill level my traveling companions. The first is Lyell Canyon, then Rafferty Creek, then Cathedral Lakes. I'm guessing this is in reverse order by popularity. Not the say Lyell Creek isn't popular, I'm sure it is.

Anyone have a tip for getting a permit for a popular TH?

-Bob
forestplay
Regular
Regular

Re: Strategies for Getting a Wilderness Permit?

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:24 pm

Hi Bob

The strategies all have to do with the least negotiable elements of your request.

It's easier to get a permit for a smaller group (four isn't huge, but one is almost always easier.)

Get a permit for a less popular trailhead (as you have noted, those three are high on the list)

Or be flexible with your dates or routes and get one of the walk~ up permits.

When you want a certain itinerary, on a specific date, and for more tha two people, you can only keep trying.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:54 pm

I believe I answered this on a different subforum. In summary, it depends on what day you're reserving for. I counted out 24 weeks and note that today they were assigning permits for July 10. If you have been trying to get a later date, that might be why you're having no luck.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby forestplay » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:17 pm

forestplay wrote:I found a NPS webpage the shows the Wilderness Permits Reservation Window. I am submitting according to this schedule. I found out tonight that not all my faxes are getting through. The machine at my office tries 3 times when it gets a busy signal and gives up. It's not obvious when it fails, so I missed several days in a row. Bummer but that's on me.

I got my request through last night and found a reply from the NPS this morning. Got a permit for my preferred TH including Half Dome.

Woohoo! The process works!

-Bob
forestplay
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking