Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Visiting Yosemite in March- what is typically accessible?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Visiting Yosemite in March- what is typically accessible?

Postby Eastcoastexplorer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:33 pm

Hello!

My friend and I will be in California for a week (March 11-18) we are flying into SFO and looking to spend a few days admiring breathtaking Yosemite. We are from the Adirondack region (NY), so we are used to hiking, but I know there will still be snow in Yosemite in March- and I don't do a lot of winter hiking- so I'm looking for suggestions for trails to hike and possible backcountry spots to camp. From my research online, it looks like Badger Pass is the central winter location of the area? Would you recommend starting here? If we hike the lower Yosemite Falls trail are we able to camp at all along the way? Since we will only have a few days in the area, I am hoping for some direction on which trails would be the best this time of year and if we can plan on backwoods camping instead of camping at Upper Pines or Camp 4. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you :)
Eastcoastexplorer

Re: Visiting Yosemite in March- what is typically accessible

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:49 pm

You cannot camp between the valley floor and the rim - so no, you can't do the Yosemite Falls trail - upper or lower - and camp below snow line. The lower falls trail ends at an overlook about half a mile from the trailhead and isn't campable in the slightest due to it being in the valley. The upper falls trail is a steep climb on exposed granite steps, quite strenuous, but there is a campsite at the top near the trail junction.

Badger Pass will only be open as long as there is snow for skiing, and they don't make snow. It's currently closed, so there is no overnight parking out there right now. Glacier Point Road beyond Badger is closed as is Tioga Road.

I would recommend planning to day hike around the valley and maybe go over to Hetch Hetchy for a hike to Wapama Falls. You could do an overnight up Chilnualna Falls trail out of Wawona but only if you have bear canisters with you. The wawona wilderness office is on self registration and not open to rent canisters. You'd have to get them at the visitor's center in the valley. There will be patchy snow up there, and ice. You could probably head up to Little Yosemite Valley and a ways beyond, but again, there'll be snow in varying amounts.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Eastcoastexplorer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:04 pm

AlmostThere- thank you for the quick response. All great info to look into. I may post again as I research the falls. Again- thank you!
Eastcoastexplorer

Postby Eastcoastexplorer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:11 pm

And as far as the best views of the mountains, are lower and upper Yosemite falls trails the only trails with that type of view which are open that time of year? Is it possible to see El Capitan from any of the hikes? I haven't been able to find a clear answer online.
Eastcoastexplorer

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:15 pm

If you look at the trails that start in the valley, you can see all of them will have good views of different parts of the valley. Snow Creek will look across at Clouds Rest and Half Dome - Upper Yosemite Falls has good views of Glacier Point, Sentinel Dome and Half Dome. The Four Mile Trail ascends to the Glacier Point area which has good views north to Half Dome and Vernal and Nevada Falls, North Dome, and LIttle Yosemite Valley and beyond. Pretty sure you will be happy with any of them. Have a look at Google Earth and you'll see what I mean.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Eastcoastexplorer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:56 am

AlmostThere- you are so helpful, thanks! One last question. We are possibly thinking about bringing our snowboards to do some backwoods riding. Any suggestions on trails off of the valley trails that would be good for this? Or would we start in a different area. The John Muir trail looks like it might have some spots? Thanks!
Eastcoastexplorer

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:09 am

You're not going to do that. One, it's illegal. two, you would destroy the boards on the thousands of granite rocks, kill yourselves running into trees, and probably take other hikers down with you. Really bad idea. Unless Badger reopened leave those at home. If you can hike the trails there is not enough snow for snowboarding....
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Eastcoastexplorer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:29 am

Oh wow. I was reading that people hike to Ostrander hut to ski though? And it's on the park website, I didn't realize it was illegal....
Eastcoastexplorer

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:34 am

You aren't going to ski on trails starting in the valley either. Winter routes for skiing are either along Tioga Rd in the high country or along Glacier Point Road. Pretty sure there won't be enough snow below 7000 feet.

You are not in the backcountry until you are above the rim of the valley, and appropriate slopes for downhill skiing are not frequent. Much of the skiing talked about is either backcountry or cross country, not down hill.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:48 am

One more suggestion. AT is doing his usual excellent job at giving you advice. But if you want to see the high country in winter, your best view might be from Dewey Point...up the Pohono Trail from the Valley floor. That's about 10 or 11 miles of hiking, but it takes you up the southern side of Yosemite Valley, and at Dewey Point gives you a stunning view of the Sierra. Well worth it.

This year is a bit odd, but in general you can expect the Valley floor (4,000 ft) to be free of snow for most of the winter, and the Rim above the valley (7,000 ft) to have plenty of snow. And as AT has noted, there is not legal backpacking within the Valley itself, so you'll have to climb into what is usually quite snowy terrain to backpack legally. The one exception is the hike to Rancheria Falls out of Hetch-hetchy...the trail goes beyond Wapama Falls, which AT mentioned.

We've got trip reports on all of these hikes on our website, link below
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Mpstaples » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:21 am

I am heading from glen Aulin to pate and will turn right at pate to head up Rogers canyon. Would like to camp at the base of the climb instead of turning left to camp at pate valley. Does anyone know if I will be close enough to accessible water at the base of this climb?
Mpstaples

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:12 am

There is always a river there... it's that one they named the canyon after.

And if you intend to go now it's going to be a long walk to Glen Aulin.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AdventureSam » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:44 am

I have a similar situation, but am not to familiar with the area. I am hoping to spend 2 nights this weekend backcountry camping in Yosemite, and spend the days doing day hikes. I am also open to hiking a loop trail and spending the nights at different campsites.

I have heard that there are magnificent views all over the park, so I am more concerned with making sure I can locate a good area of the park to overnight in (in terms in current conditions) than the specific views I'll be able to see during the day. If you were going to go backpacking this weekend, what are the top 2 or 3 places you would go (which part of Yosemite and what campsites would you stay at)?

Thanks!
AdventureSam
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:18 am

I wouldn't go this weekend- it's probably going to snow, and I haven't gotten over the flu yet. This weekend I would go to the coast. If you haven't gear or skills to backpack in winter, you might better stay in the valley and day hike. Right now that is the area that is open for people unprepared for winter conditions.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby thephotomatt » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:22 pm

AlmostThere wrote:I wouldn't go this weekend- it's probably going to snow, and I haven't gotten over the flu yet. This weekend I would go to the coast. If you haven't gear or skills to backpack in winter, you might better stay in the valley and day hike. Right now that is the area that is open for people unprepared for winter conditions.

Snow this weekend, as in 3/21-3/22? Huh?!?

According to NOAA/Weather.gov, Wunderground and The Weather Channel, this weekend in Yosemite is going to be "partly cloudy to mostly sunny"...
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=37.7400&lon=-119.6000
http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/CA/Yosemite_National_Park.html
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Yosemite+National+Park+CANPYOSE:13:US

Where were you getting that it's supposed to snow this weekend?
thephotomatt

Next

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking