Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Backpacking Loops Yosemite During mid march

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Backpacking Loops Yosemite During mid march

Postby ruben » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:59 am

Hey everyone,

I have never been to Yosemite before but am itching at the bit to have an awesome backpacking trip this mid march for spring break. Me and my girlfriend are somewhat seasoned backpackers but we are lacking a little in snow gear so if possible we would like to stay out of the snow. I know this winter was a particularly mild one for yosemite so if we stay in the lower to mid elevations I don't think this would be too much of a problem. My question is what would be some backpacking trails you all might suggest? Some parameters I would like to follow are
1. At least a two day trek (somewhere like 16 miles so maybe a loop)
2. Decent water sources (preferably a small pond or river for fly fishing.
3. I do not mind heights, I just hate sudden steep drops so hopefully nothing with too many switchbacks, narrow trails, and steep cliffs next to the trails.
4. Something a little secluded which shouldn't be too much of a problem with the time of year we are going.

I look forward to hearing what y'all come up with.

Cheers,
ruben
ruben
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Backpacking Loops Yosemite During mid march

Postby balzaccom » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:21 pm

I don't have great news for you. Except for Yosemite Valley, Wawona, and Hetch~ hetchy, most of Yosemite is over 7500 feet in elevation, and likely to be under snow at any time through April and even May.

Chech out the hike to Rancheria Falls out of Hetch~ hetchy. It's the only hike (12 miles or so) that won't have you in snow or ice until later in the year...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:43 am

balzaccom,
Has it as always. The Sierra is like the Midwest and East in the winter time, and it looks like more snow is finally on it's way. Hetch Hetchy is the best bet, and it is going to be on the cold side. Right now it is 35 degrees. 50 - 60 degrees is the norm this time of year during the day.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:28 am

Point Reyes is nice this time of year. Plenty of water, romantic sunsets at the beach....

If you want a real workout right now is the best time to do the Ohlone - it's doggone strenuous but we saw eagles and awesome views of the snow capped Sierra, the ocean, and the Bay Area. May feel warmer due to the lack of shade tho.

You could join the hundred or so that are inevitably making their way to Sykes Hot Springs for spring break. I would recommend just car camping and enjoying the coast down Big Sur way, maybe get a walk-in site at Andrew Molera for a night or two.

Or, you could get a room at one of the lodges in Sequoia NP area, and go snowshoeing.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking