Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search

Hetch Hetchy east towards Rancheria Mtn

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Hetch Hetchy east towards Rancheria Mtn

Postby mpadilla » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:04 am

Hi, Just got back from hetch hetchy, rancheria, tiltill etc. (4 days/3 nights) I used bug spray and that kept the mosquitos off me. At the camp site, a camp fire helps in the dusk hours when they are most active. The closer you are to standing water the worse. Running water is less of a mosquito problem. One of the pieces of wood that we burned let out a dripping sap with a pungent odor and that worked the best.
mpadilla

Postby WanderingJim » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:20 pm

mpadilla wrote:Hi, Just got back from hetch hetchy, rancheria, tiltill etc. (4 days/3 nights) I used bug spray and that kept the mosquitos off me. At the camp site, a camp fire helps in the dusk hours when they are most active. The closer you are to standing water the worse. Running water is less of a mosquito problem. One of the pieces of wood that we burned let out a dripping sap with a pungent odor and that worked the best.

Thanks for the info. Packing my heavy duty bug spray. :)

How are the conditions up that way? I'm planning on a similar hike from Hetch Hetchy next weekend.
WanderingJim
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby drm » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:43 am

Laying in my tent on the North Rim now, got 4G.

We're some camps worse than others on your route?
drm
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking