Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Backpacking route- Strenuous and Solitary

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby jishaq » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:33 am

oakroscoe wrote:I just have to bump this thread.

That's just mean! We're getting 20 feet of snow in the Sierras and you're making us think about summer time backpacking!

Funny, my wallpaper randomizer is showing a splendid shot of Flintstone Campground (in Cheery Creek Canyon) right now.

Jack Main sounds like fun. Maybe I'll check it out next summer.

-Jeff
jishaq

Postby oakroscoe » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:06 pm

I saw Flintstone camp for the first time this summer, I really like Cherry Canyon. I wish I had brought my camera that trip. My background on my comp is a sunset shot above Miwok Lake. I cannot wait for summer. I'm definitely jonesing for a trip.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:53 am

May be interested in this:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php ... #msg-27875

Irritated at myself for spelling due do though.

Have fun. And please LNT.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby oakroscoe » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:28 pm

Bill,

Thank you so much for sharing the pics, they are truly excellent! It reminds me how much I love that canyon. I like the campsite that is back behind the trees in Picture #16 & 17. My understanding is that it is known as Flintstone Campground because there used to be some massive chairs and tables built out of stone before the Forest Service demolished it.

Hah, is picture 18 the alligator from the comic strip Pearls Before Swine?

I agree with you about the burn on the first 3/4 to a mile in. That green crap that grew up is a nightmare to go through. Do you start all the way up at the Shingle Springs-Kibbie Lake Trailhead? We always start where the semblance of the road used to be, maybe 3/4 of a mile from the Kibbie Trailhead.

I believe they open the gate past Cherry in mid April, right before fishing season. If you were to go out that way when the gate was still locked, I am quite confident that you would have the place to yourself. However, I have run into 2 separate groups that drop in from the other side of the Lake than the Kibbie/Shingle Springs side. They generally stay at the campsite in Picture 7, where someone is getting wet.

I have been in relatively early in the season, just a couple days after they opened the gate. The water was flowing hard. We didn't try to cross the creek because it was flowing too hard. It was awesome getting out.

If you do go up before they open the gate, you will definitely need snow shoes at Styx Pass. I was up that way the last week in June, and the pass was still full of snow. So we dropped down to Many Island lake (not a decent campsite around the whole lake). From there we went across to Spotted Fawn Lake, up Little Bear Lake to Boundary Lake. Also, the dayhike to Inferno Lake wasn't bad at all.

Oh, and that pic of Mercur Peak is spectacular. The view up there is awesome. It always makes me smile seeing the metal marker up there that delineates Yosemite from the Emigrant. Thank you again for taking the time to share those pictures!
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby oakroscoe » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:46 pm

I was referencing this set of pics, for those that want to see:

http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Cherry#
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:57 pm

Yeah, afaik 16/17 is Flintstone, that is the first time we have been
that far in the Canyon from the S. (and only the 2nd time from Shingle)
and there were other people over in the woods there... so that is why
if you look at the map we did what we did. Really tried to give them
space and therefore didn't really explore the wooded area at all.
Next time perhaps.

18 is Larry from Pearls. Chick-on stayed home.

Yes, right around April 15th the gate opens. I was wondering
about dropping in from the road/trail that goes to Hells Mtn. so
thanks for that point.
Pretty sure you mean #4 though as far as where people camp.
#7 is the same location at #42-45

I don't recall stuff atop Mercur Peak. hmm.. the last few times
been in that area just too lazy to go to the top... so it's been a few
years.. will have to go back up and look again. thx.
There's markers S. of Styx though... saw those this year.

Yup on the snow... you might be interested in this set from Memorial Day:
http://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/Nance
Didn't see a single person in the 3 days.

Anyway, have fun out there.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking