Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Camping on or near Clouds Rest

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Camping on or near Clouds Rest

Postby jms703 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:09 am

I'm trying to plan a mid-august trip right now, and am wondering if it is possible to camp on or near Clouds Rest in. I've never been to CR yet.

Any advice or recommendations?
Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks.
jms703
Regular
Regular

Postby balzaccom » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:04 pm

It;s on the top of a mountain, so you don't have a ready source of water. And if you need to dig a toilet hole, the rock is pretty hard. I usually try to camp where there are easier solutions to those two problems...but some folks like to sleep on top of mountains.

It will be breezy if there is any wind---and that should at least minimize mosquitoes!
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jms703 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:07 am

Thanks.

What's the closest dirt area near Cloud's Rest that would be suitable for an overnight camp?
jms703
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:02 am

THere are a few established sites at the junction of the trail to Clouds Rest from the main trail.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jms703 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:41 pm

Nice. Are you referring to the junction that is half-way between Sunrise and Clouds Rest?
jms703
Regular
Regular

Postby tm » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:04 am

There are some established sites with fire rings about a mile North of the Clouds Rest summit, East of the trail. If you're coming South from Sunrise lakes load up on water at the creek you mentioned or continue past, set up camp and treck back down, load up on water and haul it up. I camped there last year at the end of August. It was very windy at night but had a great view of the summit. I went up to the top of Clouds Rest for the sunset. Didn't see anyone else around.
tm
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby jb_aka_marmot » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:06 pm

We backpacked last weekend intending to sleep on Clouds Rest. However, we were told by rangers that camping is officially illegal on top of Clouds Rest. They say primarily because you must camp 100 ft from the trail, and it is very difficult on top of there to be 100 ft from the trail. We saw a couple others planning to camp up there, though...

We had a great legal experience by camping just downhill from the summit - coming on the trail from the sunrise lakes area, there are several established (though it looks like infrequently used) campsites between the trail up to the summit and the drop off to Tenaya Creek (on the north side of the trail, as mentioned above). It's less than a mile from the summit at that point. Also, at least through July, there is water at a creek where the trail dips the last time before climbing to the summit. (The wilderness permit office will know whether water is flowing, so you can ask when you pick up your permit.) This is certainly closer water than the year-round creak flowing at a lower elevation. We set up camp around 3pm and headed up to the Clouds Rest summit for the rest of the day - spending more than 6 hours on top before heading down the short trail to the campsite. Wonderful experience overall, despite not camping right on top.
jb_aka_marmot

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking