Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

4 Mile + Panorama Trail - how strenous and which direction?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

4 Mile + Panorama Trail - how strenous and which direction?

Postby damir » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:27 am

Hi everyone.

We are staying this July in Yosemite (Upper Pines) for three days. I would like to do at least one moderately strenous route during that time.

I've given up on Half-dome since everyone says it's brutal. Panorama Trail seems to be just in my alley, but now I'm eyeing that 4-Mile trail, too.. connecting 4M and Panorama seems rather interesting. Especially since we could either start or end up right at our campsite (if I'm reading the map right).

Btw I am in average shape and so is my wife. We hike from time to time and 10-15 miles is our average route length.

Now - can someone tell me how long does 4M+PT usually take, if one goes at somewhat leisurely pace (counting in potential orientation issues, too, I don't know how well marked those trails are)? And how strenuous is it, really? And which direction is more preferable?

Thank you in advance for any kind of info or tips. Cheers!
damir
Regular
Regular

Good timing

Postby BrendanSF » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:26 am

Good timing, I did the same hike on Saturday July 4 for the first time. It was an amazing hike, although long.

Based on the advice of nice folks in this forum, I started at Happy Isles (very close to your campground) and took the Mist Trail to the top of Nevada Falls, then Panorama to Glacier Point. I added on 3 miles here with a round trip up to Sentinel Dome, then back to Glacier Pt and down the 4 mile trail. Caught the free shuttle back to Happy Isles trailhead parking. Close to 19 miles total, and over 4500 feet total vertical. Took me 10 hours with several breaks.

The recommended direction was good for these reasons:
-The Mist Trail is best hiked uphill, because it's wet and slippery. Not dangerous if you step carefully, but downhill is always trickier.
-The sun will be at your back on the Panorama Trail, which I found more comfortable.
-By the time you reach your high point at either Glacier Pt or Sentinel Dome, your hike will be well over half done.

The only unmarked junction is to the Panorama trail less than 1/4 mile after the bridge at the top of Nevada Falls. Take an uphill left at the fork, and and if you start steady switchbacks, you went the right way.

No need to filter water (dangerous above the falls) because there's plenty of fresh faucet water at Glacier Point.

Recommend you get an early start to avoid crowds on the Mist Trail and get back to the Valley well before Sunset.
BrendanSF
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking