Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Trailhead for Cloud's Rest?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Trailhead for Cloud's Rest?

Postby Valhalla » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:07 am

Good morning,

I have several questions (for now) and any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time to Yosemite and I'm trying to make the most of it. Won't have another chance for quite a while. I searched for the answers through google but found no clear answers.

#1. I was wondering if anyone can tell me which trailhead is a good start for a single night backpacking trip to Cloud's Rest (And will I need any special pass, other than the Wilderness Permit for 2?). Ideal length of around 10 miles or less each way.

- What pass will I need to park on the trailhead overnight?

... Are any of the Tioga Road trailheads near Tenaya Lake good or do some not connect, etc????

#2. Can I pick up a bear canister at the Ranger Station at the same time I pick up the wilderness permits?

Thanks in advance!
"... For he today who sheds his blood with me shall forever be my brother..."
Valhalla
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:21 am

1) The Sunrise trailhead near Tenaya Lake will make Clouds Rest a 14 mile round trip. There are campsites near the junction of the spur trail that takes you up to the peak. An alternate trailhead would be Cathedral Lakes, but it adds mileage. Look at a good topo map, which you should take with you anyway. They sell maps too.

2) You don't need a parking pass. You will pay to enter the park, twenty dollars unless you get an annual pass.

3) You can get a bear can when you get the permit. If you get the permit. Sunrise is one of the most popular trails in the park. Having a party of only two helps... Stop at the wilderness center in Tuolumne Meadows and check. If you are very lucky you can get two walkin permits the day you get there... you may have to come back the following morning early, or you may be able to get one for the next day. Getting a campsite is a similar process, get there early as you can. You might need to have a backup plan of going to Saddlebag Lake to camp a night (also a beautiful area with a loop trail through a basin full of nice lakes).

If you ARE able to get wilderness permits, you'll be able to stay in the backpackers campground, no problem.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Valhalla » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:46 am

Thank you for the reply.

Both Sunrise and Cathedral Lakes are booked for pre-reservations for pretty much the entire month. I will try day prior/day of but I'm guessing that will be slim as well.

Are there any other single-day backpacking trails that you highly recommend (probably ALL :D ) that may be less frequently travelled?

Also, can you recommend any particularly good spots along the JMT for a day/sunset hike?

Thanks again!
Valhalla
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:05 am

If you are not experienced or are a leisurely hiker, Saddlebag Lake and the 10 lakes loop is a great overnight. There are lots of good overnights, I really liked 10 Lakes basin tho the climb over the pass is a little strenuous for infrequent or out of shape hikers it's do-able if you just go slow, and it's worth it - the view from the pass is really incomparable. You can then go to Grant Lakes or down into 10 Lakes itself to camp. The fishing is very good in the lower lakes.

Day hiking opens up endless possibilities - no permit needed :). Glen Aulin would be a beautiful walk. North Dome is worth the hike, and you can see Indian Rock on the way out. Cathedral Lakes is an easy overnight or day hike.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Valhalla » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:36 am

I'm an experienced hiker and in very good shape. Does that change your recommendations at all? .

Is Ten Lakes the trailhead for Saddlebag and the loop? I found great fishing reviews for the area, which would be fantastic, and it appears to be available for reservations for my upcoming date :D .

... So, 10 lakes trailhead, over the pass, camp in ten lakes area itself, and then loop back out?... Is that correct?

Thank you.
Valhalla
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:49 am

If you feel ambitious you could head over to ten lakes and come out at May Lake - but look at a map before you do that. Ten Lakes is an out and back.

Ten Lakes is in the park - Saddlebag is outside the Tioga gate, in national forest, so the permitting is not restrictive.

Another good one - http://www.yosemitehikes.com/tioga-road/mono-pass/mono-pass.htm

You can find some good descriptions at yosemitehikes.com but they are not all inclusive.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Valhalla » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:03 am

Any idea what the approximate milage and climb is from Ten Lakes to May Lake? Looks like a good trail on Google, maybe approx. 20miles RT?

Also, is there a website where I can check trails/distances on my own?

Thank you!
Valhalla
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:16 am

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/b2c/star ... pitrex_prd)/.do

Click on map locator. Enter Ten Lakes into the search box. When the quadrant pops up with the red flag, click on the red flag. Click on download. It will give you a standard USGS topo map. You can click on adjoining quads and download as you need. I often crop the maps down to print on 8x11 paper.

Here is a description of the May to Ten Lakes hike. There is a small map of the area there as well.
http://www.scaruffi.com/travel/tenlakes.html
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Valhalla » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:55 am

Thanks for the links. The website says the Ten Lakes to May Lake requires two vehicles (which I won't have) and is around 38 klicks... which I take to mean 38k one way. I may have to save that for when the girlfriend isn't with me, unless that is the roundtrip mileage. lol.

If it is 38k one way, we'll probably stick with the Ten Lakes route and just do more exploring.

That should about cover it for my Q's. Thank you very much for all of your help.
Valhalla
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:58 am

The alternative to two cars - hitch hiking, or time it so you can flag down the hiker bus. Or walk back on the road.

Have fun - it's a gorgeous area. :)
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Valhalla » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 pm

That sounds fantastic but time will be an issue. Is it difficult to do Half Dome and Glacier Point in the same day?... Particularly a Sunday in mid-August?
Valhalla
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:26 pm

Valhalla wrote:That sounds fantastic but time will be an issue. Is it difficult to do Half Dome and Glacier Point in the same day?... Particularly a Sunday in mid-August?

Well... Half Dome is eight miles from Happy Isles. Panorama Trail from Glacier Point is eight miles, meets up with the Mist Trail at the top of Nevada Falls, and continues for another six miles to Half Dome. That sounds difficult to me....

Unless you drive to Glacier Point, then drive down to the Happy Isles trailhead, then do the hike to Half Dome and come back in the dark. The 16 mile round trip is typically a ten hour hike.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Valhalla » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:14 pm

Thanks for all of your input... I was hoping I might be able to run this by you.

- arrive August 15th and set up camp near the south gate of the park. (Campsite reserved)

- Early 16th head to Happy Isles and do Half Dome. Then Drive to Glacier Point to hopefully catch the sunset before heading back to camp. (Relaxing sunset in the meadows is also a very solid option.)

- 17th whitewater rafting full day. Then head to backpackers campground near 10 lakes for the evening.

- 18th Hike to Ten Lakes in the morning. Hike, fish, etc. (Permit acquired just now)

- 19th Leave Ten Lakes, pack up, head home.

Neither of us have ever been to Yosemite and it will be a while before we get the chance to go again. Trying to make the most of it without running ragged. We are both young and in good hiking shape. Do you feel that the above plan should work out alright?

Lol... I know this has been a barrage of questions but you really have helped me out a great deal and I appreciate it!!!!
Valhalla
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:28 pm

Valhalla wrote:- arrive August 15th and set up camp near the south gate of the park. (Campsite reserved)

- Early 16th head to Happy Isles and do Half Dome. Then Drive to Glacier Point to hopefully catch the sunset before heading back to camp.

- 17th whitewater rafting full day. Then head to backpackers campground near 10 lakes for the evening.

- 18th Hike to Ten Lakes in the morning. Hike, fish, etc. (Permit acquired just now)

- 19th Leave Ten Lakes, pack up, head home.

You would probably be tired, but it's possible. :) Hit the trail to Half Dome in the early morning dark and you just might make it to Glacier; factoring in the usual traffic jam in the valley late afternoon, it'll take an hour - two hours just to drive to Glacier Point. You might be pretty darn tired and wanting to head to camp after the hike.... the mist trail is quite punishing. You might like coming down the JMT instead of facing all the steps again.

And the funny part is, my hiking group is doing a sunrise hike to half dome on the 15th - we're starting at 11 pm the previous day. :D

The closest backpacker campground to 10 lakes is in White Wolf. Tuolumne Meadows would be overshooting the trailhead.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Valhalla » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:43 pm

AlmostThere wrote:And the funny part is, my hiking group is doing a sunrise hike to half dome on the 15th - we're starting at 11 pm the previous day. :D

The closest backpacker campground to 10 lakes is in White Wolf. Tuolumne Meadows would be overshooting the trailhead.

You, Sir, are a Saint. Thanks for the heads up on local backpacker campground.

Also... If we take headlamps, can we start the HD at any time? There's no closed gate, etc? Is the trail clearly marked throughout? (Not stealing your idea, but beating crowds would be nice.)
Valhalla
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking