Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Check out this tent I made

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Check out this tent I made

Postby balzaccom » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Here are a few shots of the tent that I designed and made from some waterproof ripstop I found at Walmart for $2 a yard, and some mosquito netting. The roof wraps right around the foot of the tent and becomes the floor…and the netting wraps around everything else. Weight, with aluminum poles, is a little over three pounds.

http://picasaweb.google.com/balzaccom/B ... 6254249554

http://picasaweb.google.com/balzaccom/B ... 3797083170

http://picasaweb.google.com/balzaccom/B ... 9951025426
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hikin Mike » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Pretty cool! Have you seen this....

BACKPACKER needs your do-it-yourself gear wisdom!
Hikin Mike
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Crazhy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:38 pm

I could notice that this is a good tent for camping. This is a comfortable tent actually. My friend set Event Tents in this coming fiesta.
Crazhy
First-timer
First-timer

Postby bernadettej21 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:53 pm

Crazhy wrote:I could notice that this is a good tent for camping. This is a comfortable tent actually. My friend set Event Tents in this coming fiesta.

I agree with you Crazhy. For the people who love camping like me, that's a good tent. You feel comfortable in that tent. Free from mosquito bite because of the net. And you feel you just sleep in your own home.
bernadette c junsan
bernadettej21
First-timer
First-timer

Postby rosalka09 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:16 pm

I have followed the 3 links you have given and it is nice. You are a great tent maker. You don't need to buy one as long as you have a raw materials.
rosalka09
First-timer
First-timer

Postby sierranomad » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:55 am

That's cool! Impressive. Has it been tested by heavy wind/rain yet?
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:38 am

No heavy rain yet, just showers. But it has done well in those, and it's hard to see where there would be problems.

That said, this is definitely a three-season tent. And if the weather promises to be really cold, we'll take our heavier tent, even if no rain is predicted. We like the added warmth it provides with its double walls.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby sierranomad » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:48 pm

Way to go! Making your own tent shows ingenuity. 8)
sierranomad
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking