Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Backpacking between yosemite valley and Tuolumne Meadows

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Backpacking between yosemite valley and Tuolumne Meadows

Postby fliflet » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:27 am

HI im 16 and was planing on taking a backpacking trip between yosemite valley and Tuolumne Meadows and also the serounding trails like the merced river trail is this a good idea and will i need or be able to get a permit im planing on leaving from yosemite valley trailhead SEP.13 and hiking up to tuolumne and going south and west manking a cirle ending back up in the valley im planing on takind my time 5 to 7 day making alot of stops at Cathedral Lakes and babcock lake would i be able to camp there and do i have to have a water purifyer and any other tips would be great THANKS
fliflet
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:48 am

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm
there are no reservable permits available for Happy Isles trailhead for that day, but you might get a walk in if you show up early in the morning on Sep 12. That will allow you to stay in the backpacker campground the night of the 12th and start walking on the 13th.

The same would apply if you started from Sunrise or Cathedral - Tioga trailheads are also extremely popular. There is also a backpacker campground in Tuolumne Meadows campground. Those are $5/night and for the night before or the night after the itinerary on your permit.

The only difficulty you face is that if the fire closing the road isn't over, the road from the valley to Tioga does not open before then, you will not get a permit at all if you plan to exit on Tioga because you can't drive back and the busses are not running. In that instance you will end up hiking in and then back out the same trailhead.

Pay close attention to the rules for backcountry camping at http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/lyv.htm - you will need to be 4 miles from the trailhead on most trails and between Little Yosemite Valley and Happy Isles or Ilillouette drainage and Little Yosemite, you cannot camp at all.

Don't forget to repackage food carefully so it will all fit in the bear canister.

Do take a water purification method. Filter, chemicals (drops or tablets) or enough fuel to boil water, take your pick.

The only other thing... if you're 16, do you have a parent or guardian going with you? because I'm not sure they will issue permits to minors. And you need to have a good map and know how to read it, and some basics of how to navigate...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking