Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

fsdfsadf

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

fsdfsadf

Postby benatlastexit » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:20 am

hjkgh
Last edited by benatlastexit on Thu May 20, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
benatlastexit

Postby balzaccom » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:00 pm

I have had sunny days and temps into the 80s...with nights in the mid-30s. And I have had cold, wet, and even snowy days with highs in the 40s and lows in the teens. I usually don't plan long trips that time of year---because depending on the weather report, I want to be able to get out of the wilderness with a one-day hike, if needed.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:33 pm

You can drop the pack on the way to Half Dome - I'd put a ribbon on a branch near the trail and stash it out of sight with the pack cover on and all smellables in the bear can separate from the pack. You can do this at any point prior to the final set of switchbacks up to the dome.

As for late season hikes... plan for temps into the teens and for wet weather. Be aware that all shuttles and the hiker bus will stop operating in mid-September, and YARTS will only run from Merced to the Valley. You won't be able to park overnight on Tioga Pass after 9/15.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Weather in late Sept

Postby AYoung09 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:09 pm

I'm about 10 days away (9-24) from my plan to lead two greenhorns up Lyell Canyon and then up to the Vogelsang base area. I have only moderate experience myself, so I am getting more nervous about the weather I may encounter, even if we find campsites near 9,500 feet. Would Balzacomm and Almostthere agree I should be looking at other options? I'm just afraid I won't be able to get a wilderness permit this late for our backup plans, like Ten Lakes or going north from May Lake.
I understand the bus service on Tioga Rd. will be stopped, but the preferable plan for these other routes would involve hitchhiking back to the car. Inadvisable?
Thanks guys
AYoung09

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:24 pm

D'oh! I said 9/15 - Tioga Road is closed to overnight parking after 10/15.

You will probably need to have some second and third choices for itinerary, but permits are still available and reservable until the end of October. I'd pack chains/cables for the car, just in case. They advise this on the website anyway for shoulder season or winter visits.

Part of the reason you have to pick up permits in person is so rangers can tell you current conditions and warn you if "stuff happens." I was refused permits from Tioga when the fires shut down the road from the valley. We opted for a hike off Glacier Point Road instead. The only reason they wouldn't give you a permit would be something like that - road closure, fire, or other conditions that present a safety issue.

If you can't do a car shuttle, hitch hiking or doing a loop back to the car are pretty much the options. You could do a loop from Sunrise to Cathedral or vice versa with a side trip to Clouds Rest and plan to walk or hitch back to the car on the road. That would put you within a day's walk of the road at any time, and give you some stellar views from CR and down Tenaya Canyon.

Weather is weather, and if you have a seam sealed tent and adequate rain gear, you should be okay - and if it gets to be more than you can handle, hiking back out is always there...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:35 am

Here is my advice, pack for everything. I have had ice/sleet in July, warm nights in October. Be smart and follow my rule. KYAS which equals, keep your A$$ safe. I spent a lot of time in Alaska and learned the rule the hard way. My friends say I am over prepared but they always welcome it when I am tossing extra food, layers, or anything else thier way. The way I see it is the extra weight in the pack is training me for something harder. If that something harder never comes... at least I was prepared.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AYoung09 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi Wickett & AlmostThere -
I greatly appreciate your input (and AT - I thought 9-15 seemed early!). In light of your comments, now I've got consensus from the others that a somewhat lower elevation trip will be more suitable. But I am hoping that we can still have the option if the weather is strongly amenable at the time. I will certainly make sure we are fully prepared for contingencies - even at the lower elevations.
Cheers
AYoung09

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking