Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

JMT next year

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

JMT next year

Postby JimmyJMT » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi all, sorry posted in wrong section before... newbie

First time posting. I have a 6 week sabbatical from work next year and want to hike the JMT in its entierty within a 3 week timeframe. I have been looking around online and have been consulating the local REI reps on suggestions for type of gear etc. and I think I am set there.

The only confusion on my part and I'm not sure why I can't wrap my head around it is the permit issue. I know I will need a wilderness permit with an exit in the Whitney zone, but I have not found the earliest dates I can apply for a permit. I plan on doing this mid to late June.

I plan on departing from The valley into little yosemite for the first night, but I have heard that this is a difficult spot to get a permit from. I want to do the traditional route North to South and wanted to know if anyone had advice on best trail head to depart from even if I have to leave from Tuolumen.

Any other advice on hiking the trai lwould be greatly appreciated especially around food.

Thanks!
JimmyJMT

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:39 am

The earliest you can reserve any permit from a Yosemite trailhead will be on this table. You will need to be at the fax machine at 12:01 am and try, try, try, if your start date is in summer. It would be good to either be able to list a second/third choice trailhead or be flexible on the dates. I have had better luck from popular trailheads by being flexible and calling the permit line and talking to a ranger until I work out what's really available. You won't be able to do this until after 7-8 am (depending on when you call, open hours shifts earlier in summer) and odds are your first choice will be booked by then, but if you are flexible enough to start from Tuolumne instead there are a couple options from there, even.

The Yosemite page on the JMT/PCT is here.

You will want to carefully review food storage requirements and rent a Bearikade, which is available directly from the mfr (wild ideas) via mail for renting - it's more expensive than renting a Garcia in Yosemite, but has the advantage of not requiring you to somehow get it back to Yosemite to return it, and being able to take a larger supply of food with you so you can get through the 100 mile zone where there are no resupplies.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:46 am

When you get your permit your entry and exit would be something like:
Entry: Happy Isles
Exit: Mt. Whitney

That's all you need.

or:
Entry: Lyell Canyon
Exit: Mt. Whitney

From the west you don't need any other permit to climb Whitney or exit
the portal.

If you want to touch the entire trail then you'll want to
reserve a permit from Happy Isles the day that you are allowed
to next year. Be aware that you are going pretty early
and snow and water will be a big issue. You really need to monitor
those situations and either be prepared to deal with it or
be prepared to adjust your plans.

Hope this helps some.
Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:53 am

Bill is as usual right on.

The biggest hazards on a long hike are, dehydration, hypothermia, altitude sickness symptoms, being injured or ill, followed distantly by animal issues, people issues, and random acts of God. The best preparation: acclimate, hydrate, keep eating, dress in layers (synthetics and wool and down), and be learned in the symptoms of HAS (high altitude sickness) and understand what you need to do if you experience them (go down!). Staying in the valley then taking your time staying overnight on the trail, again in Tuolumne Meadows, again as you approach up Lyell toward Donahue, will help prepare you for heading over 10,000 feet.

Have you done any Sierra hiking before?
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby JimmyJMT » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks for the advice!

I have done Sierra hiking, but have never been in charge of getting the permits or planning! Some may call me a “slacker,” but I say I'm leveraging my strengths. This is the first trip I'm planning and will start out solo, but plan on meeting people along the way. I just can't ask them for advice or they will give me a hard time.
This year we did Whitney in early June still snow on the switchbacks and required crampons and pick on the cables, we also did mountaineering classes in Shasta and I have done some of the HSC routes along with Desolation wilderness stuff up in Tahoe.

I know snow may be an issue and the amount depends on the season. Has anyone done the trail with a fair amount of snow cover? I assume most of the passes will have snow? I figure a good map and compass should keep me on the right track or am I being too optimistic?

Thanks for the link AlmostThere. I have been on the Yosemite site and saw this table and was not sure if it applied for the JMT. I guess the earliest I can apply would be Jan. of next year then?
JimmyJMT

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:20 pm

Sounds like you know what u are getting into.

If it's a big snow year you'll really have to worry about the
passes in Kings. I guess the good thing is that the PCT hikers
will be blasting thru from the other direction so you'll be
able to get the lowdown from them and perhaps be able to
follow their tracks.

Good luck & be safe
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:28 pm

Good to hear you are doing your homework. The permitting is just like it is for any of the trailheads, apparently, and yep, it'll be January if you go in June.

Remember you can spend a night in the backpacker campground right before your trip is supposed to begin. It's not the most private place in the world but you'll have a flush toilet and quick access to pizza and beer at Curry Village. They also sell gear in Yosemite Village if you forget anything or want a canister extra at the last minute.

You'll have to come back and post a trip report. Don't forget the camera!
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking