Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

One-way Tenaya Lk-Cloud's Rest-Happy Isles in mid-October

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

One-way Tenaya Lk-Cloud's Rest-Happy Isles in mid-October

Postby Ninthgen » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm an out-of-stater and I've been wanting to hike Cloud's Rest forever, but this is the first time I'm going to be there when there *might* not be snow all over it.

1) Is this one-way hike do-able in one day in mid-October (assume 6-7 AM start time)?

2) Assuming the trail has patches of snow, is the trail hard to follow?

3) Is it safe to hike alone? (assume day pack with usual snacks, water, cold weather gear, etc.)

4) Is there a shuttle operating on Oct. 16 (and will they tow my car if I leave it there overnight on the 15th)?

5) All things considered, is it just better to do a round-trip from Happy Isles?

Sorry about all of the questions!
Ninthgen

Postby balzaccom » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:17 pm

1) Is this one-way hike do-able in one day in mid-October (assume 6-7 AM start time)?

Yep--It's about 15 miles. I took us about 7 hours to do the whole thing. Start at 7, you'll be back with time to spare.

Nope--and if you have a map, it's pretty clear where the trail has to go.

3) Is it safe to hike alone? (assume day pack with usual snacks, water, cold weather gear, etc.)

Yes.

4) Is there a shuttle operating on Oct. 16 (and will they tow my car if I leave it there overnight on the 15th)?

I don't know about the shuttle...and Tioga Road closes for overnight parking on the 15th. Just hike the hike and get back to your car and drive back down afterwards.

5) All things considered, is it just better to do a round-trip from Happy Isles?

Nope--that's a longer and much harder hike.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ryanmj » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:03 pm

round trip from happy isles is rough, my brother and I did it 2 years ago. We left at about 530 and didnt get back untill around 430, we hiked pretty fast too.
ryanmj
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:56 pm

Are you leaving a car at the bottom as well?

That depends on the patches of snow. Usually, no. But it snowed last weekend and will probably snow again, and while these are not severe snow storms YET, even an inch across a good length of trail can obscure it. You should have a compass and map and a basic knowledge of how to use them, anyway.

It's probably safe enough. You should pack as tho you will be stuck out there overnight, on long dayhikes or on dayhikes in the shoulder seasons. One of those Adventure Medical bivy bags could be a lifesaver. One never knows when the weather will abruptly turn. I would take my tarp, my foam pad and my synthetic quilt with me if I went this time of year.

Probably they would leave a ticket on the car, if not tow it, the 15th is the cutoff for overnight parking on the pass. And no, the shuttles stopped in September.

It's better to do a round trip from Sunrise trailhead. 14 miles round trip, no killer elevation gain. From Happy Isles you would be facing a 5,000 foot gain, and subsequent loss, of elevation over 22 miles.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:11 pm

Don't forget to leave a detailed itinerary with someone, and also possibly on the seat of your car. Not trying to be an alarmist, here, but there have been injuries and fatalities at Clouds Rest too, and you're going solo.

Unless you want to pick me up on the way... I've been thinking of doing Clouds Rest before the snow blocks the pass entirely.

Edited to add: Okay, you inspired me - I'm going out with my meetup hiking group on the fourteenth (Wednesday) to do Clouds Rest. :) You're welcome to join us if you like. Prolly be at the trailhead around nine am.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking