Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hike recommendations

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hike recommendations

Postby _Gabe_ » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Good Morning Everyone,

I'm going to lay out a hike route that I plan on taking in early July. Its going to be two couples, where the wives are first time backpackers but somewhat familiar with day hiking.

My friend and I have backpacked a few times in Yosemite and are comfortable enough to try a new route.

This is more or less what we are thinking.

Day 1:
Leave Cathedral Lakes trailhead near TM and hike to Sunrise High Sierra Camp.
Day 2:
Hike to Merced Lake High Sierra Camp via the trail that goes thru Echo Creek.
Day 3:
Hike to Vogelsang HSC via the Fletcher Creek trail
Day 4:
Hike back to TM via the Rafferty Creek trail.

I am guessing this route might be especially crowded being that its part of the HSC route...?
Since there seems to be plenty of water throughout...is this a mosquito haven...?

The only part of the trail I am familiar with is the first day from TM to Sunrise HSC...which is tough but not too bad and full of mosquitos! On the map it does look like the hike from Merced Lake to Vogelsang is tough.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gabe
_Gabe_
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Dave Miller » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:05 pm

I think your plan is a good one, but your Day 3 will be a tough one! I hiked down that trail last year and it was fairly steep with a lot of granite cobblestone switch backs. Beautiful scenery though. I have not been there in July and I imagine the mosquito's will be heavy and hungry.
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby hiker97 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:53 pm

A friend and I were at Vogelsang HSC in early July back in 2008. It was indeed a mosquito haven and I received about 3-4 dozen bites that evening and the next morning during dinner & breakfast. No campfires are allowed at Vogelsang. The next night of our loop was much better, as we went across via Evelyn Lake over to Lyell Fork and camped just uphill from the junction of the Ireland Creek trail and Lyell Fork. Being at lower elevation meant that campfires were allowed and this fended off all but a tiny handful of mosquitos. I do have to say it was incredibly gorgeous in early July though, since all of the meadows were green and every little stream was flowing. I agree that the Day 3 you have planned will be quite difficult due to the elevation gain. I have not done the exact loop you are thinking about, but in the future when I take that loop I am planning on 5 days in order to break up that section into two manageable pieces. That way you'd have more time to enjoy the middle section that is also the most remote. Incidentally, Vogelsang HSC is a very spacious area and I did not feel it was too crowded, except when I decided to visit the "facilities" and ran into many folks staying in the tent cabins.
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby _Gabe_ » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:59 am

It does seem to be a very popular route. Do you guys have other recommendations of a loop that can be done in 3 to 4 days?
_Gabe_
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:25 am

One thing you might want to consider is a shorter trip witha rest day for a day hike or fishing. There are certainly some other great hikes in Yosemite that would work for that time of year---although I suspect the bugs will be out in force, so be prepared for that.

You could certainly go up Lyell Canyon, over Vogelsang, and then back down Rafferty---with a visit to Ireland Lake as well.

You could go up and down Illilouette Canyon, or the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne in four days, easy.

How comfortable are you with cross country? How much solitude do you want? Those would be good questions to answer so that we can give you better info.

Here's a link to some of our favorite hikes in Yosemite:

http://www.backpackthesierra.com/home/d ... tioga-pass
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:14 pm

Young Lakes is a great place to take first time backpackers into the high country. It's only half a day hike from Tuolumne meadows with not too much elevation, maybe 2000', and then you can do day hikes up Mt. Conness or out to Rosevelt Lake or though the Young Lake chain. It give you the option of splitting up if someone wants to take a day of and rest and others want to hike. July=Mosquitoes. No way around that.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby centurycyclist » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:04 pm

You will be glad that you are leaving from Tuolumne rather than Tenaya Lake....even though it is longer, it is such a beautiful trail. We saw almost NO ONE after lower Cathedral Lake all the way to Sunrise Meadow....When you leave Sunrise, I would recommend that you consider going down the John Muir trail, even though it is a longer stretch...it is down elevation, and less-travelled. Especially loved the stretch between the intersection of the trail to HD and Echo Valley. Again, going against the grain of most---leaving Merced Lake, I would take Lewis Creek instead of Fletcher Creek. Having done both, really don't love the stone switch backs on the way up Lewis Creek. And, it is a horse trail...Lewis Creek is not. If you get going early, you can take the one mile hike up to Bernice Lake. SOLITUDE!!! While the climb over Vogelsang pass is certainly a challenge at the end of the day, it is quite the spectacular view in ALL directions at the top. Every time I have been at Vogelsang, it is COLD and WINDY. Find a protected place to camp, or you may find yourself wind-blown out of your tent in the middle of the night. No question, leave Vogelsang out past Evelyn Lake and down to Lyell Canyon. Have fun!!!! BTW, I agree, if you can add in a day to just "hang" you will appreciate that. Perhaps along the Lewis Creek Trail to Vogelsang.
centurycyclist
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking