Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Edyth Lake

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Edyth Lake

Postby orion » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:48 pm

I know you can get to Edyth Lake from the Frog Creek side, either from Bearup or Laurel Lake, but does anyone know of other access?

It has looked tempting to me from Bartlett Creek and down from Fawn Lake, and I'd like to incorporate it into a loop that takes on the entire Eleanor Creek drainage, going up Cherry Creek and back down Eleanor Creek.

Anyone been through there? Wait. Don't tell me. It will be a surprise.
Last edited by orion on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:27 am

Haven't tried that, but we have hiked in to the Boundary Lake area from the Kibbie Ridge Trailhead. On the map, it looks pretty steep just to the west of Edith Lake...and that cliff goes along for quite a ways.

BTW, Bartlett Creek has no fish up by Boundary Lake and Little Bear Lake--the lakes don't either--and I'd be interested in hearing from anyone about fishing in that whole region.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:42 am

Many Island Lake and Flora Lake are also without fish. That whole border region must have missed out on the fish stocking back in the 1800s.

The Emigrant Wilderness, on the other hand, is full of trout. Huckleberry Lake, Emigrant Lake, etc., although they are also more heavily impacted by stock coming out of Kennedy Meadows.

Ridge, Iceland, Sardella, and Lewis Lakes is a high country granite section of the Emigrant that you might want to check out. The stock can't get up there, and they are supposed to have fish. Xcountry route finding is involved. I've tackled it from the south side of Lower Relief Valley a couple times. I remember the son of a state senator broke his ankles trying it about a decade ago, ended up up hiking out on his own after a week when no one found him.

On the other side, Kibbie, Eleanor, Vernon, Lower Branigan and the Jack Main drainage all have trout. And I've heard rumours of golden trout in Tilden Lake. Those Golden are as tame as Koi. you could probably make them extinct easy.
Last edited by orion on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:35 am

For the record it's Edith, not Edyth.

Edith has fish.
Mary and Tilden Creek have Goldens.
All the lakes in Emigrant near Iceland have fish.

Going down Kendrick to Edith is probably not wise. You'll cliff out
at the waterfall.
I'd tackle it down the creek just east of Inferno.
If you're going to go to Fawn then I'd go up to Big Island and
then up Richardson and drop down to Edith.

Edith is by far my favorite lake in the Park. Just incredible.
Not for the faint of heart though. A definite challenge to get to
and plenty of xcountry experience is advised before tackling.

Unfortunately only been there once. Directly west from Frog Creek.
From Edith went up Richardson and then dropped back nearly
straight down to the inlet of Bearup.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:06 am

Spelled with a "y" on my map, why you have to give me a hard time? Maybe we have differnet maps. Mine was a gift from I good friend I no longer know. Maybe it is too old. I can't remember.

And I realized looking at the map again, the descent I was considering is a draw that starts near the headwater of Barlett Creek, due south of Flora Lake, then runs past four unnamed lakes tucked in granite beneath Edyth. One lake is called Frederick, this much I already know. Probably I will be scratched again and again by bushes.

Robots. Robots. Robots.
Last edited by orion on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:18 am

Must have edited your post since i last looked at it. Everything is different - I can tell you've corrected yourself. Why are you looking at this? I've looked down from the Inferno but not up. What is always harder to tell from above? From Inferno Lakes (ponds) you can probably scramble the ridge to Fawn, scrambly down like eggs full of cholesterol dripping off the fingers.

Does Bearup have fish? I can't remember. I didn't eat them. They have mosquitoes, which are esculent, technically. Mahan doesn't, and probably not Otter, but I couldn't tell because it was half froze when I got there. It was terrible.

Say, did they name that lake after Edith? Edith Nance? I knew her back in high school. What ever happened to Edith?
Last edited by orion on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:13 am, edited 5 times in total.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:54 am

The lake was named after Edith Nance.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby orion » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Edith Nance was the most beautiful maiden a man could ever want, ever! And to have a lake of the yosemite wilderness named after her, what bliss! One day I might gaze the upon the waters that were so beautiful as to reimind me of my true love, Edith. Edith! If only you were here now at this very time.
Last edited by orion on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby calieigh » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Hi bill-e-g.
Thanks for the information on Edith.
calieigh

Postby orion » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:23 am

thank you, Edith Hasfish
orion
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster